Parents Practice after Dental treatment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My oldest dd has an appointment in the morning and will most probably need a tooth extraction (baby tooth). I am wondering if it is safe for her to go to practice later that evening (last practice before her competition).

Has anyone else dd/ds had dental treatment and gone to gym the same day?

Use your best judgement. If in doubt...keep her home.

Yes...many have gone to the dentist and gymnastics in the same day.

My 6 yo DD recently needed three cavities filled... One ended up needing a baby root canal. She took some Motrin and went to practice still 1/2 numbed up --- quite honestly because she wanted to. She didn't have any issues at all.

I would just let her decide after the appointment. Most likely the distraction will be good for her.

Thanks for the reply, it is a baby tooth that needs to come out, they x rayed it a few weeks ago and said it was likely to come out on its own within the next month but if she had any issues with it then to go back and have it pulled, dd has asked to go back to the dentist as it has started to hurt her.

My youngest dd had two small fillings last week in the morning and went to practice in the evening, she was ok, she came out after warm up/conditioning saying she had a tummy ache and felt sick, she had just done some new core exercises that were heavy duty and after a pain killer and cuddle she went back in and finished her practice, we weren't sure wether it was the tummy muscles or dentist treatment earlier in the day that caused the tummy ache and sickness feeling. My money is on tummy muscles as she felt better after the pain killer kicked it, if it was sickness she would have not gone back in. It is hard when they are young to tell the difference between tummy muscles pain and tummy ache.

I will see how my oldest dd is tomorrow, I will still take her to the gym if she is not sure if she wants to go in (just to watch and get last minute details for her competition on Saturday) unless she feels really bad, then she will stay at home.

If they're upside down, they may find the soreness increases, as there will be a bit more pressure at the site. Unless they're on medication that may affect them, they should be fine after minor dental work (simple extraction, fillings, crowns, etc). Anyone in gymnastics is likely too young to be dealing with implants or root canals.

My DD just had a baby tooth pulled recently and went to practice for 3 hours that night. We made sure to give her pain meds before and after and all was well. :)

My DD had a 2 permanent teeth pulled this morning and is planning on going to practice shortly but will be taking ibuprofin per the dentist's recommendation.

My DD mouth is a mess. No room for any of her teeth so she has had A LOT of teeth pulled. She goes if they have stopped bleeding but has had to quit or not do any giants, or flipping or really anything that put a lot of pressure on the face because they started to bleed again.

She has to have 4 adult molars pulled tomorrow as a matter of fact. We don't plan on attending tomorrow but hope to do something Friday.

My DD had to have 2 babyteeth pulled one day. One would have come out anyway because the adult tooth beside it was pushing on it and wearing away the root (it was a canine; but the incisor didn't have room to come in, so was pushing it out). The other was the other canine on her bottom and they said it was important to pull both, something about symmetry. (Her orthodontist said this and her dentist, who pulled it agreed.)

The one that hadn't been being worked out still had a full root and it was pretty horrible. I actually had to pull over on the way home because she felt sick. She wasn't able to use a straw for a while and the dentist had us treat it about the same as I had to do back when I had my wisdom teeth out!

Anyway, she definitely didn't go to practice that day. I think she would have been fine if it had been the tooth that the root was getting worn away; but the other one was bad enough that there was just no way. So I'd play it by ear.

Dd had to baby teeth pulled because the adult teeth were coming in behind. They still had full roots and the dentist said they would have never come out on their own. Because of the roots he had her take either 48 or 72 hours off, including PE at school because he didn't want them to start bleeding again.

Dd has just come back from the dentist, she is fine, just a little numb on one side. The tooth that was pulled was a baby tooth that had no roots left and was wobbly, it was out in seconds, she was very brave and I held her hand while they were putting the numbing cream on before the injection, she said she didn't feel a thing.

Dd has now got her feet up reading her new Dork Diary book (TV Star) and eating pretzels lol, she will be going back to school after lunch as it wouldn't be fair for her to go and eat at school with her mouth all numb.

All being well and if there are no problems then dd will be going to gym.

My DD mouth is a mess. No room for any of her teeth so she has had A LOT of teeth pulled. She goes if they have stopped bleeding but has had to quit or not do any giants, or flipping or really anything that put a lot of pressure on the face because they started to bleed again.

She has to have 4 adult molars pulled tomorrow as a matter of fact. We don't plan on attending tomorrow but hope to do something Friday.

I can see my dd having problems when more of her adult teeth come through as she is so tiny for her age and she will most likely suffer from overcrowding teeth - I did and had to have several teeth out when I was her age.

I hope your dd gets on ok at the dentist and is not in too much discomfort.

yes, that is the concern. gravity forces blood in to the opening where the tooth was. they can end up with dry socket. better to have them wait 24 hours after a tooth is pulled.

Dd went to practice, she was fine. They spent most of the time practicing their routines for tomorrow's competition, she was just doing forwards rolls and cartwheels and simple squat on and straight jumps on vault (old fashioned wooden vault that wasn't very high)

They only thing that happened around 1 hour after coming back from the dentist was she got a swollen lip where she bit it while her mouth was numb, ice lollies helped the swelling go down

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back