Parents practicing at other gyms while on vacation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
What level were your gymmies at when they started to do this?

We will be away for 5 days for turkey day and then 10 days for Xmas and my DD's meet season starts the week after we return. She will be 7 in two months. She's level 3.

She is getting nervous because she is worried to lose her kip (she literally JUST got it this week and thinks it will be gone by the time we get home from the g'parents! I suppose it might be!) and doesn't want her ROBHS to get "ugly" (her words). She asked me if there is a gym where she could practice while we are away. I'm not even considering it for T-giving because we leave tonight! But for Xmas I'm sure that I could find something.

Is it worth it at this level? And how do I set that up? Private lessons?

Thanks in advance!!

DD did this a few times at the lower levels. Level 3-6 range. She loved it and had a great time practicing with a different team. Just make sure you get sign off from her coach.

Now at the upper levels we really aren't out of the gym outside of closures and at that time her body needs the rest. At this level it seems like everything hurts all the time.

But, if for some crazy reason we went on vacation when the gym wasn't closed she would likely want to work out somewhere as being out of the gym is rough on them as well. Stuff goes fast.

I guess my point is that it is fun to do at the lower levels. If she likes the idea and will feel more confident with her kip coming back after the break then go for it, but it won't likely make a lot of difference one way or the other. Taking time at this point isn't that big of a deal.

And if/when you get further up the levels, I wouldn't expect to be taking five days at thanksgiving and 10 at christmas. That would not be acceptable to our gym or my daughter. Just something to look forward to. Enjoy it while you can. :)

What do her coaches say? Also, the kip isn't required for Level 3, now it may be by your gym and that is a different conversation, but theoretically if she lost it she could still compete with a complete routine while she gets it back.

It's definitely not a necessity at this level but my dd trained at a gym on vacation this summer (at the time she was preparing to score out of 5 so they put her with their regular L5 group practice.) She got more consistent on some skills from the feedback they gave her and said it was her favorite part of vacation. We just emailed a couple of gyms in the area until we found one that accepted gymnasts on vacation (one gym turned us down flat). The gym we ended up going to said they had vacation gymnasts all of the time (popular vacation spot) and welcomed her with open arms. They wouldn't even let me pay them anything. On her last day they all hugged her goodbye and said they wished we would move to Florida so they could have her full time. It was a really fun experience for her.

i did this last year with dd in level 4 for a 1 hour private over thanksgiving. just so my parents could see her on the floor. she seemed to have fun and working with a different coach brought different views on what she could improve on and how. i told our HC about it to make sure it was ok.

i would not go work out with a gym though w/out clearing it with my HC. if you find a gym that has some open gyms she can attend (even now for your thanksgiving vaca), that is different. that may be hard to do. when we went last year, the gym was closed on it's open gym day b/c of the thanksgiving wkend.

ditto what someone else said - the kip isn't needed for level 3 and if she just got it, she may "lose" it again briefly anyway. it seems to be something that happens a lot at our gym with that darned kip! if she's already got her kip and she's just beginning level 3, she is way ahead of the game!

our gym had a canadian gymnast with us over the summer. she was in the area all summer so it was a necessity to find another gym to train at. our gym is really good with accepting other gymnasts like that. if you are ever in the boston area, let me know, i'm sure our gym will let you come and train!

What do her coaches say? Also, the kip isn't required for Level 3, now it may be by your gym and that is a different conversation, but theoretically if she lost it she could still compete with a complete routine while she gets it back.

Thanks. everyone! Sorry for delay - - internet free for the holiday!

I know kips are not required, i think she's just scared to lose them if she goes 10 days without!

So, I haven't asked the coaches...somehow I would feel like a CGM for even considering it! But, I'll ask :) The only time she would prob do it would be when we are near my parents at the old gym I grew up in - it's now owned by an old friend of mine, so I think it would be pretty low key.

THanks again!

She's 7, and level 3.

Rest and a break from training, both physical and psychological, can improve gymnastics as much as it can slow it down.

Give her a proper break. Lots of walking, cycling and just playing will keep her fit, and the change will help prevent overuse injuries down the line.

We've done both vacation gyms, and a full week off. It was always her choice. When we visited gyms she loved it for all the reasons listed above, but the full week of rest has also been fine, and didn't seem to set her back. She's L9.

If it's a gym owned by a friend and is your old stomping grounds, go for it! She will have fun! And honestly, at this age, this is when gymnastics is "fun"! This is when they want to do it all the time and doesnt feel as much like "work". Just my opinion though...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back