Parents Preparing for first meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Monkeygirlsmom

Proud Parent
looks like in Jan will poss be dd's first meet!
What can I do so that she is not too nervous, she has a tendancy to cry easy when she is nervous (very emotional child can I say)

also It looks like she will be taken out of school for this one , why do they do that? (if she had done a ton Id prob say no but it could be her first one and well She has worked so hard and seen other team mates start but she had to get her dismount down!

Anyhow sorry Winded Today! LOL

what can I do to help her be confident and such I dont want her to start crying cause then I feel as tho it might stifle her having fun and that is what its all about.

I would just tell her that this is her first meet, her only goal is to go out there and do her routines the best she can. Remind her that most people aren't watching her, they are watching their own gymmies/team. :) Show her some YouTube videos where kids have messed up and kept going (my DD has a few, LOL). Really emphasize how much fun she is going to have, how she has worked so hard for this and that it really is just to be fun.

Nice to see you here!! How is your baby doing?

Thanks
babe is doing great , she is now 1 year old (in sept she turned)
and trying to keep up with the big girls (even trys to swing on the table )

Good luck to her!

Just tell her to do the best SHE can do and that is all you can ask for!

That's what I tell my DD before every meet.

Hope you all have fun!

Thanks! I just want to start her years of meets on a good note , since its all about doing something she loves and I want her to have fun and enjoy this.

(Im excited to see her do this too! she has worked so hard!

I try to keep it simple with DD and remind her of the following...

#1 - Have fun
#2 - Do her best
#3 - In the event of an oops... let it go and don't let it effect the rest of the events
#4 - I expect nothing of her during a meet except for #1 & #2 - I have not expectations in regards to scores or placements at awards.

I also tell her that I will never get upset or mad at her if she has a bad meet or event at a meet. My only expectation of her is that she work hard in practice and as long as she is working hard in the gym that is all I am concerned with. I think it is important for our children to understand that everyone has a bad or off day (and sometimes more then one) and I could not live with myself if DD was out on the meet floor worrying about whether I would be mad or disappointed in her if she messed up.

I do feel in this area that I am one of the lucky ones because she NEVER gets nervous at meet time. If anything, she is more focused and excited. She loves to perform for everyone and that is what she goes out there to do. In her mind, everyone is there to watch her - LOL...

See.. another long post... I can't seem to do anything but. One of the reasons I don't post more often - I would be on the computer constantly. :eek:

Some great ideas above. My daughter's gym always tries to make a new friend at each meet. I think it helps to cut the stress for them and makes them feel a little bit more comfortable. Good luck!

Some great ideas above. My daughter's gym always tries to make a new friend at each meet. I think it helps to cut the stress for them and makes them feel a little bit more comfortable. Good luck!
Hey, you beat me to it! :p

I was going to suggest to stick with her regular gym buds. Have some low key fun coming up to each event. Distraction works well for mine even though she doesn't get too nervous often.

Thank you everyone!! im hoping this advice is not needed haha! but I want to be prepared cause I want her to have fun and not be too worried or stressed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back