WAG Proper landing after a series or a single tumbling skill

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Is there such a thing as a proper way to land after a tumbling series on floor or beam? In dance, for leaps and jumps (or mostly everything), we lightly land on the balls of our feet and then roll down to the entire foot, if that makes sense. My daughter is flat footed and keeps complaining about sore feet and arches after a day of heavy tumbling. I wonder if she is landing flat footed, which seems too jarring to me. i've asked her and she is not sure. It seems the impact after her tumbling series causing her arches to collapse. We are seeing a podiatrist next week. She is not injured or anything. I just want to remedy any future problems if possible. I know feet problems can lead to back problems among other things. In addition, flat footed people usually overpronate which may lead to lack of stability. If there is a proper way to land, I would appreciate knowing and/or if you have any knowledge/expertise on flat footed gymnasts, how it affects their sport, I would also appreciate you sharing your experience. Thank you.

In demi-plie chest up, basically a 1/4 squat and not on your head.

Land on ball of foot transfer to heel. Reverse action of jumping.

My DD got an ankle injury from overpronating. She also saw a podiatrist. She also saw a dance physiotherapist who gave her a lot of exercises for strengthening her feet and calves. One of these was kind of similar to the action of landing, but in a slow and controlled way. Also lots of stretching of upper and lower calf muscles, which can get short after a growth spurt when leg bones grow - when calf muscles are too short, the ankles can roll in, transferring the force into the arches.

My DD got an ankle injury from overpronating. She also saw a podiatrist. She also saw a dance physiotherapist who gave her a lot of exercises for strengthening her feet and calves. One of these was kind of similar to the action of landing, but in a slow and controlled way. Also lots of stretching of upper and lower calf muscles, which can get short after a growth spurt when leg bones grow - when calf muscles are too short, the ankles can roll in, transferring the force into the arches.

Is your daughter wearing some kind of arch support? My daughter tried the xbrace but it makes her arches too sore. Did your daughter complain of any back pain?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back