proud but frustrated

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Meet 3 for the year but 3rd year at level 8
Vault 8.575 3rd (out of 6 or 7 13-14 year olds)
Bars 8.3 2nd
Beam 7.0 6th the kicker is she was on the way to her best beam ever, looking great! fell on first back handspring, got back up to do back walkover, fell agian, tried one more time at back handspring fell again. So 3 falls and no series. I think that is like 2 full points there. So I guess a 7 isn't so bad, right?
Floor 8.675 4th this is the one I would really like to see go up. A team mate and close friend of hers always scores just a bit higher but she really doesn't "look" much better. Not sure where she can improve. She got some 9's her first year

AA 32.525 3rd place

I am really proud of all she does. This has got to be the toughest sport. But after doing level 8 for 3 years and not seeing much change I don't know what to think. I would almost rather have her go to level 9. Her scores would be similar I think. I have been having a lot of talks with coach lately. He is frustrated by the teams lack of motivation and honestly the girls are frustrated with his lack of motivation. Ironic huh?
5 weeks until next meet. Hoping to see some real change.
http://youtu.be/rabodTZusjA

Last edited:
I think she is a beautiful gymnast. Poor thing, that beam routine was looking beautiful until she started with the first fall. :( Breaks my heart for her as my older DD has been having a horrid time on beam too. :( :( So sad.

I really thought her bars and vault were VERY impressive. I hope you do see some great change in 5 weeks, hope all can find a way for motivation and success. It IS a hard sport, brutal actually. I think any gymnast that gets out there is awesome.

I feel you pain! Proud but frustrated. My dd is 2nd yr l8. It is a huge commitment.
Your DD vault looked great, but why did she look so disappointed? Is she frustrated she is doing it another year? My dd looks a bit like yours on beam. My dd is afraid of her 2 bhsp connection. Is you dd or did she just fall? Bars looks good. She has very nice form. On floor, my non gymnastic advise would be to smile and show it off! She has nice tumbling. The presentation might bump the score up a bit. :)

Looks like she has some good potential based on what I see...clearly some good speed and power on the skills. Three years of level 8 is not uncommon. If you want my honest opinion I would wonder whether her physical conditioning is up to her potential. Not sure what the situation in your area is with optional gyms. I wonder if another program could take her farther if you are having these problems but think she has the motivation. Like I said three years of level 8 not uncommon, nothing wrong with that in itself. And the skills are there, so that's what sticks out to me, i.e. she can do the bar skills if she could up her amplitude and add a turn. Beam she has a smooth BHS which I think could translate to a L9 series but needs more aggression. Vault and floor again from what I see the upgrades to level 9 seem feasible, just needs more amplitude. Right now I think she would have difficulty qualifying to states in level 9 though...would be missing several requirements and the deductions on the amplitude issues tends to come out more. But, that's not to say the potential isn't there...she clearly has some solid optional skills. Does your gym have level 9s and 10s? Any girls who are any closer?

I watched the video before I finished reading your post and while I was watching the video, I wondered why your dd and the coach both seemed so down. Neither looked excited at all about her routines. I know the gymnast can feed off the coach's energy and vice versa. Not sure what you can do about it other than have the coach and girls sit down and try and talk through what is lacking.

I agree with gymdog that she has the skills. Just some things that stood out to me on floor were low landings on the front tumbling and not sticking the back tumbling. Cleaning that up will get her score up. I can totally relate to the beam problems---I have to wonder why the coach had her up there attempting the bwo and then another bhs.

Maybe another program would bring out the fire she's had in the past. Certainly worth looking at other options.

She is a very elegent gymnast. I love her routine on floor and her music! Poor thing, her beam looked so nice. I can totally relate, my DD also is having beam issues this year! (hers is from fear) Best of luck for the rest of the season! She is still far ahead of the pack being level 8 at 13 or 14!

I feel you pain! Proud but frustrated. My dd is 2nd yr l8. It is a huge commitment.
Your DD vault looked great, but why did she look so disappointed? Is she frustrated she is doing it another year? My dd looks a bit like yours on beam. My dd is afraid of her 2 bhsp connection. Is you dd or did she just fall? Bars looks good. She has very nice form. On floor, my non gymnastic advise would be to smile and show it off! She has nice tumbling. The presentation might bump the score up a bit. :)
Actually her connection is a strong point. She had great warm up. I think that is why she was so bummed when she missed it. I wish she would ham up floor a bit.

She looks really frustrated and down in the video, I can really feel for the poor kid. The skills are there, it just looks like she needs some more confidence in her self and her abilities- that can go a LONG way in terms of presentation and scores. She doesn't have any glaring deficiencies, it's just all of those little things that can really add up. I think the change in scores would be particularly apparent in her floor score. She doesn't need to be smiley and spunky on floor if she's not comfortable with that, just a little more emphasis on finishing dance elements, engaging with the music, and looking like she actually wants to be out there- not an easy task when you are thinking about the actual hard stuff you have to do in the routine!
She seems to have a lot of talent and potential, I hope you can find some way to get her and the coach back on the same page and working together to really harness her abilities.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back