Parents Proud Mommy, new to gymnastics, first handstand!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amphomma

Proud Parent
I know this is a "safe" place to share my excitement for my little girl: Little A will be 4 in about a month. She has been doing her first NON-mommy-and-me class at a new gym since we moved, for about five weeks. Her teacher has already commented on her natural abilities, quickness to learn, and how she is a few skills away from being "pre-team".

We are in no rush, of course, for anything. Our whole family is just enjoying watching Little A do all of these gymnastics things with such joy and enthusiasm. It's hard to stop her, even at home!

So--the main point of this post is this: one of the skills she is working on is a handstand. She can hold them really well with her feet against the wall, but this week, she decided to just try them on the floor. Out of about 50+ attempts since Wednesday, she has done two or three where her legs were all the way up for a second! I know this may seem trivial to those who are much further along than we are, but seeing her excitement, pride, and happiness seemed worth sharing here to me! I love seeing her doing what she loves to do.

Already, I love that she is learning that some of the best things in life are hard to do, and that the hard work is worth it! I love seeing her learn a new skill, or discover a new skill (none of us knew she could do a straddle press, but hey, look at her go!), or just get pure delight from jumping into the foam pit for the 20th time at open gym.

I love reading lots of posts here for wisdom and encouragement!

Welcome aboard. You are right, these kids work really hard, so many of us like sharing our excitement of their skills. I'm glad you've found something she enjoys!

That's AWESOME. So much fun to watch the 'baby steps'. And you are right, the best lesson for them to learn is hard work eventually pays off. Sounds like she is off to a great start, and lots of reasons to be proud.

congratulations to your daughter! I understand the excitement :) seeing them work hard for so long, and it finally pays off!

They all have to start somewhere! Next it will be "Mommy time how long I hold this handstand". Congrats on her first gymnastics milestone.

They all have to start somewhere! Next it will be "Mommy time how long I hold this handstand". Congrats on her first gymnastics milestone.
Yes, I look forward to the next "next"! This morning she asked me if I could pull her air mattress out into the living room so she could try a flip in the air from a standing/bouncing position. I told her to learn it properly at her gym first...I'm not a gymnastics expert at all (I'm tennis and running and field hockey!), and I already feel so unqualified to help her with things at home. She is chomping at the bit to be able to do more big skills. I'm trying to help her pace herself and learn things in the right sequence. And of course, just have fun. She's not even 4 yet. :)

congratulations to your daughter! I understand the excitement :) seeing them work hard for so long, and it finally pays off!
Thank you! It is fun to share the excitement with those who understand. Even her 8-year old brother, who is very hard to impress, has said, "A really is better at gymnastics stuff than me". Not to be outdone, he started to attempt handstands after school alongside his sister. They had pretty similar success.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back