WAG Qualifying Elite at the ranch and other thoughts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Here's another dumb question…Why are there are level 8,9,10s at the verification or elite qualifiers, I thought Elite was above level 10? So how would a level 8 girl qualify if she hasn't done level 9 or 10 yet?

they are not National Team camps. those girls are at developmental camps. and they also could be 'hopes' and 'pre-elites'. not elites.

Yeah, I am curious about all of those things too. I did know most of what you posted, but I didn't realize that qualifying at the Ranch allowed "do-overs". I guess I thought that it was a meet-like conditions with a judge.

I am curious about how Elites qualify to P&G though...if the quali's at the Ranch and other competitions only get them to Classics, how do they get to the Championships?

Thanks for starting the thread, Bog!

normally, they go to Classics to qualify to Champs. but Marta can also have you qualify to Champs at the Ranch if she says so and the athlete had already achieved the quali score to get to Classics.

additionally, Marta can name an athlete to the National Team at her will.

Developmental Camps= anyone that's been invited and which include and could be Level 8's, 9's, 10's, Hopes and Pre-Elite.

National Team Camps= all athletes on the Jr. and Sr. National Team. in other words, the 'real Elites' also referred to as 'the big girls". :) and those that have been moved and invited from Devo to NTC by Marta.

maybe this will be helpful also:

verification/qualifier: like going to state meet to qualify to regionals.

Classics/Qualifiers: like going to Regionals to qualify to Nationals

Championships: is Nationals for Elites like the 10's have Nationals, and pre-Elite athletes.

and the Jr's have a lower quali score all along the way than the Sr's do.

Just continuing my education here.
Are all those ^^^^^^ things true? What more can you add about the process?

Do you feel qualifying at the ranch in a verification situation is a lot easier than doing a full meet, with no do overs and an actual audience?

Why qualify elite in the first place, what does it get you if the gymnast is not amongst the stronger gymnasts?

yes all are true. I hardly dare answer the question above, but I do not see how it is fair to qualify at the camp, where the coaches are watching you all day and seeing your skills, while everyone not invited to camp has to qualify at a meet, under pressure, no do-overs, in front of judges. Seems like camp qualifying is easier.

Qualifying allows you to compete at the US Classic or Challenge. I don't know from there. And they can still compete Level 10 the coming season, if they don't compete officially as an elite, which blows my mind because there is definitely an uneven playing field at regionals and nationals. How can non-elite trainers compete agains elite trainers, who train 1/3 longer every week, usually in a very small group so lots of turns on equipment, with very little distractions, and lots of time to practice troublesome skills while learning more and more new skills that regular level 10s don't have time to work on?

yes all are true. I hardly dare answer the question above, but I do not see how it is fair to qualify at the camp, where the coaches are watching you all day and seeing your skills, while everyone not invited to camp has to qualify at a meet, under pressure, no do-overs, in front of judges. Seems like camp qualifying is easier.

Yes, that is the only bit I find very strange. As qualifying an event a day at a camp is really not like qualifying under meet conditions with all four events at once. It really does seem like the Disney fast pass.

Qualifying allows you to compete at the US Classic or Challenge. I don't know from there. And they can still compete Level 10 the coming season, if they don't compete officially as an elite, which blows my mind because there is definitely an uneven playing field at regionals and nationals. How can non-elite trainers compete agains elite trainers, who train 1/3 longer every week, usually in a very small group so lots of turns on equipment, with very little distractions, and lots of time to practice troublesome skills while learning more and more new skills that regular level 10s don't have time to work on?

It does seem odd that you can be L10 and elite, or L9 and elite. Can you do that at other levels? Here you are the level you are, you cannot play both sides, so to speak.

it's not unfair. the coaches make the decision as to whether they will qualify at the ranch or at an outside qualifier...like at SCEGA a couple months ago. the scores were rather high there. and definitely there is more 'pressure' at the Ranch.

once you have qualified to Classics you no longer can compete Level 10. you are now considered Elite once you have competed in Classics. there are some rules about going back to Level 10 after having qualified Elite. US Classics and American Classics are the same thing. both are qualifiers to qualify to Championships.

Challenge is for hopes and pre-elites.

It does seem odd that you can be L10 and elite, or L9 and elite. Can you do that at other levels? Here you are the level you are, you cannot play both sides, so to speak.

once you compete at Classics, you're done in JO. and the confusion is in all the levels within the Elite program.

suffice, you're not a 'real' elite until you have passed your compulsories, qualified to Classics and then on to Champs as a Jr. or Sr. International.

Here's another dumb question…Why are there are level 8,9,10s at the verification or elite qualifiers, I thought Elite was above level 10? So how would a level 8 girl qualify if she hasn't done level 9 or 10 yet?

Most of the level 8 & 9's are "hoping" to qualify Hopes :) and/or receive an invitation to developmental camp. The gymnasts coach will send videos and talk to the National team coaches. But having a great meet at a qualifier is another good way to "get on the radar screen".

once you compete at Classics, you're done in JO. and the confusion is in all the levels within the Elite program.

suffice, you're not a 'real' elite until you have passed your compulsories, qualified to Classics and then on to Champs as a Jr. or Sr. International.

You can drop back to 10 though, correct? I know we had a girl that qualified elite, competed in one classic, then decided she didn't want to be elite and went back to Level 10. (now the confusion there is whether SHE decided or Marta decided...my money is on Marta for that one!)

I saw 2 girls this year from another club in the same city as us, compete National Novice at invitationals, and P5 at Provincials. I am assuming for a better chance to make it to Westerns??

I saw 2 girls this year from another club in the same city as us, compete National Novice at invitationals, and P5 at Provincials. I am assuming for a better chance to make it to Westerns??

Because provincials are actual qualifier meets and invitationals are just for "fun". You can do that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back