Question about Flyaway on the bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD was doing flyaways on the bars tonight and her feet hit the high bar. I was watching her just before the hit and it seemed on several occasions she almost hit the bar.. I asked her if the coach gave her any tips and she said NO.. only if I was ok. Any tips for her.. Thanks :)

A video would be good, but the most important thing in a "flyaway" is a good (powerful) tap swing.

Check the following threads:

flyaway - Search Results - The Chalk Bucket

[video=youtube;HtTJNTb7ZyA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtTJNTb7ZyA[/video]

He says, "Flyaway...not flipaway."

Many times the gymnasts are too concerned about flipping. The flight up and away from the bar needs to be trained separate from the "flip" in order to achieve a great flyaway.

We do lots of "candles sticks" off the bar. The coach ends up holding the gymnast almost vertical in the air. Anyone have a video of this drill?

A video would be good, but the most important thing in a "flyaway" is a good (powerful) tap swing.

Check the following threads:

flyaway - Search Results - The Chalk Bucket

[video=youtube;HtTJNTb7ZyA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtTJNTb7ZyA[/video]

He says, "Flyaway...not flipaway."

Many times the gymnasts are too concerned about flipping. The flight up and away from the bar needs to be trained separate from the "flip" in order to achieve a great flyaway.

We do lots of "candles sticks" off the bar. The coach ends up holding the gymnast almost vertical in the air. Anyone have a video of this drill?

My DD had the same problem. She hit the bar in practice and was scared to let go of the bar after. This weekend, I took her to an open gym and she really wanted to conquer her fear. As I was talking to a Mom, I noticed her swinging on the low bar getting ready to let go. The young coach supervising the OG was helping her. When they called me over to watch her do it on her own on the low bar, I heard the coach say something about opening up her shoulders and pushing away. She took her through progressions on the low bar-pit bar-high bar. At the end of open gym she was doing the FA alone on the high bar with only one mat. She also said that her HC had her doing them on her own today. I didn't hear that anything scary happened today. In the video you will see her hit the pit bar, but she got right up and went for it again. I was extremely proud of her!!
‪lilgymmie7's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Is she doing it right?

Is she doing it right?

She pulls in (closes her shoulders on the release) on some of them in the video (which is what causes the toes hitting the bar). This is a common problem and is going to happen at some point in the learning process of flyaways (wait til they start from big swings like giants), for the most part. Hopefully not too much. The ones she did on the real bar set in the video around 4:50 were pretty good...getting the idea of the displacement from the bar.

Basically...they need to keep their armpits open when they let go. The action of "balling" the body up for the tuck confuses a lot of kids into closing their upper body also, so it might help some to think about stretching and doing the tuck later. I prefer to do some spotted displacement drills emphasizing more a straight body release and flip and then try the tuck flyaway. The problem is a lot of kids just "try" it and you see them bending their legs before they even release the bar.

JEAN6183:

Was your daughter doing tucked or layout flyaways? It seemed like we all assumed tucked, but if it's layout, some of the responses may be irrelevant.

[video=youtube;-Ihovc8s6S4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ihovc8s6S4[/video]

The Candle Stick is at about 1:45-1:50, I think. But the whole video has good tips in it. :)

[video=youtube;-Ihovc8s6S4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ihovc8s6S4[/video]

The Candle Stick is at about 1:45-1:50, I think. But the whole video has good tips in it. :)

Hi, she was doing a tuck flyaway.. I had her read and watch all of your posts and we thank you.. She got a nasty rip and felt it ripping as she was about to flyaway and feels that's why it happened .. I watched her prior to this and kept thinking she was very close to hitting the high bar, so thank you for taking the time to share video and information.

here it comes...it's vestibular again! lol.

the single leading cause of hitting the bar, both boys and girls, is when they use their head and flip it back to initiate somersault/rotation from the bar. the average head ways 6 pounds. so, they throw the head back and the vestibular system picks up and senses that they in fact are being thrown down to the floor head first. the body/nervous system reacts by holding on to the bar to long. they do this so that they can hold on long enough to rotate far enough around to see the floor and get their 'bearings'. this causes the arm angle to close at such a drastic angle that they can't depart the bar. BANG! OUCH! :)

they must learn to keep their heads forward and chins down first. then add the tap.

Thank You ! That makes a lot of sense. I just wonder if some of her hanging onto the bar has anything to do with a nasty fall she had during the season during warm ups for a meet. She peeled off the high bar while doing the level 5 tap swings, on the way down one of her legs wrapped around the low bar along with her head hitting the bar and then neck on the mat...... :) Pretty Nasty fall !! Bars is her favorite, so she gets right back up there. Thanks again, I appreciate everyone's help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back