WAG Question about level 6 form deductions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Texasmomof3

Proud Parent
Hi, all, I hope I have posted this in the right place and that this works. I have a LV 6 girl and I am curious about form deductions on two of her events.

My first question is on beam. Her routine is pretty simple: mount, lay on beam, bwo, dance, full turn, split leap, wolf jump, dance, back tuck dismount. They had two recent practice meets -- coaches scored her 9.3 and 9.4, visiting judge scored her 9.15 and 9.2. (The judge said she was being hyper-picky, and all of her scores were lower than the coaches scores.)

My question is about the amount of split in her leap. In practice she hits a full 180 (she has the highest jumps and leaps of anyone on her level 6 team), but in competition, she doesn't hit 180. I think she is nervous about falling and doesn't jump as high.

So, is there a deduction on level 6 for not hitting 180? If so, what is the deduction? I have a picture I snapped of the angle she tends to hit in meets, for reference.

JJ beam.jpg

My other question is on floor. Her routine is also pretty simple on floor: floor dance, needle, ROBHSBT, switch leap wolf jump combo, more dance, full turn, front tuck, ending dance. My question is on the switch leap: although she does hit 180, it isn't parallel to the floor. Instead, her split is pointing down. Is that a form deduction or as long as it hits 180, is that good enough?

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.

JJ floor.jpg

Not a judge or coach but my dd used to struggle with these problems as well. This is what we learned regarding your questions.

From what I understand there is up to .2 on the split angle on beam. 0-20 degrees from full split is up to .1 and w 20-40 from full split is up to .2. Any more than that and they don't award credit.

Her back leg is lower than her front so not sure where they measure that from and there may be an additional deduction for the legs not being the same or amplitude or something, but not sure about that

On the switch there is an up to .2 deduction for split not being parallel and that is pretty off so I would expect a full .2 for that.

The thing that was the big awakening of moving to optionals was the angle, amplitude, dynamics and artistry deductions. A clean routine would be full of deductions that we could never figure out.

On beam and floor, there is an up to 0.20 deduction for not showing full split in a leap or jump, and up to 0.20 for not being parallel to the floor in a leap or jump (exception would be sissone, which is supposed to be angled). Like the above poster said, on floor I would take 0.20 for being angled. On beam, I'd probably be at 0.15 for split angle.

Thanks. Dd was under the impression that they didn't have to hit 180 for level 6 on beam, so I will be sure she knows that is another .15 to .2 she is giving away.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back