Question for Anyone Who Has a FWO on Beam....?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

B Gymnast

I've never really worked fwos on beam, but yesterday at open gym i decided to.. i havee good fwos on floor, so there pretty easy on beam and i always seem to get my foot on (or at least yesterday i did). i did them on low beam first, then the low beam that's about a foot off the ground, then a high beam with a big mat underneath (it was about a foot and a half high). then i went to high beam and put an 8 inch mat underneath, but i wouldn't go for it :( how did you get yourself to go for it on high beam for the first time??

just think, its the exact same beam, your surroundings are just different. I like to think that if your coaches didn't think you could do it, then they wouldn't let you do it. Just don't think about the skill, your body knows how to do the skill, so your all set.

I think of pretty much the same thing as kayla, but I also try to think about how I just did it, and it is the same skill, so I know that I can do it safely. I also try to not think (because I tend to overthink things, making it really hard to make myself go), I just count 1-2-3, GO!!! After the first time, it is A LOT less scary, and it is much easier to make yourself go. I hope this helps...Good luck :)

If you are scared and having to MAKE yourself attempt the skill then you are not ready to be on the high beam with one mat.

And since you started the skill on low beam THAT SAME DAY, it is too early to be on high beam with one mat.

And you were at open gym so probably your regular instructor/coach was not with you giving you advice.

Do it on the low beam until you are making 10 out of 10 consistently, then move up a step and repeat. This may seem like the slow way of going but is safer and more consistent in the long run than talking yourself into going for it on high beam the same day that you first tried it on low beam.

If you are scared and having to MAKE yourself attempt the skill then you are not ready to be on the high beam with one mat.

I agree with pretty much everything you are saying but I would have to respectfully disagree with this. I don't really like beam, and there are plenty of skills that I am afraid of, and I have to make myself do, even though I am perfectly capable of completing the skill. For example, my bhs-bhs...I know in my head that I am fine and have done it enough without any problems, but I am still scared and have to force myself to move outside my comfort zone and do it with just one mat or I will never improve. I realize that this case is a little different because she just started working on her fwo, but I did the same thing with my fwo on the beam. I am truly sorry if this comes off as disrespectful, and I really mean it in the best possible way.

I just wanted to say that if I were you I would think "What's the worse thing that can happen if I do this? Is it worth risking?"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back