Parents question for photogtaphy junkies

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
I do a lot of natural light photography, mostly family portrait type of work. I do it mostly for fun and volunteer for a few non-profits doing photography (our local shelter, hospital, etc) but I've never done sports photography and I rarely do indoor hotel/conference lighting work. I use a Nikon 750 which is a mid-level full frame DSLR.

For meet season this year, I was considering renting a lens. What would you all recommend? A fast zoom, but any specific recs/specs? Any "standard" settings you find work in either "hotel gyms" or coliseum lighting?

Thanks!

My dream lens would be the 70-200mm f2.8 and should work for most venues. I sometimes see parents lugging this lens around and always am a little jealous :p
Sometimes I find that in some darker venues f2.8 isn't enough...so in these particular cases, I find myself wanting a 85mm f1.2. It's not a zoom but I do have a preference for prime lenses.

Both are $$$$ :eek: I don't have either but I have rented lenses for meets before. I have this perverse idea that taking my own photos is better than buying from the meet photographer, however I am coming to my senses and have bought pictures at the last couple of meets. Then at the meet I just take video.

I have the 70-200 2.8 for my crop sensor but have been putting off buying it for a full frame because of cost! maybe I'll break out the D90 and just use it! I'm with you re: taking my own photos, but you're right, I should just buy the "real" shots from the guys on the floor with the girls and then take video!

I have Canon equipment and rent the 70-200 2.8 for meet weekends. I’ve had good luck that depending on how the seating is setup of course. Lighting can vary a lot from meet to meet and keeping the colors consistent is more troublesome than anything else for me. I try to shoot 2.8 and no lower than 1/800 and adjust the ISO as needed. Your Nikon does really well with high ISO so don’t be afraid to crank it up.

I set a custom WB for every event at the meet using a grey card which takes care of most color issues. Or, shoot in RAW and adjust in post editing....I usedto shoot with the camera WB presets and it me batty when I tried to create a photo collage because every picture had different WB.

I shoot in RAW as well and haven't taken the leap to renting the 70-200 2.8 but I think I'm going to for this season. I shot some on the floor at practice yesterday and ended up just using my 50mm which was a little much at times but I couldn't handle shooting at 3200 ISO. This way I got 1600 at 1/250 at 2.2.

Where is the best place to rent a lens? Local? Online?

I've heard a lot of people recommend that same lens and I'd love to try it out.

Just sent you an invite to join the group doodlebug

Could I get one as well? I thought I put in a request some time ago, but honestly I'm not certain. My oldest doesn't love going to his brother's meets, but he does love photography. If I could help him get better shots in the often difficult meet conditions, it would be a huge win-win for me!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back