Questions about first pair of grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bella's Mom

My daughter just got her first pair of grips and I have some questions.

1. Are grips hand specific? I mean is there a right and left?

2. Which two fingers is she supposed to put the grips on? Index and middle or middle and ring?

3. Are the holes supposed to go down to her palm? These only go to her middle knuckle. Is that right?

4. She says the finger holes are too small. Is this a break in issue or am I supposed to be doing something?

5. Are they supposed to be so stiff or is THIS a break in issue as well?

6. How often is she supposed to use this grip brush that I ordered?

Any other tips for taking care of her grips would be greatly appreciated.

If it matters, they are 10.0 grips without dowels. I think #902??

1- if velcro straps, the buckle it wraps around is closest to the thumbs.
2- middle and ring
3- if dowel grips, the wholes should sit at top knuckle/finger tips
4- you should stretch the finger holes, ten-o grips supply sand paper with them. finger holes usually run super small and they must stretch and break in.
5- they should be somewhat stiff, but should begin stretching and breaking in quickly.
6- it's up to her, if you use it too much then the grips will wear out too quickly. but it creates the friction from her hands to the bar when brushing them, so if she uses alot of chalk its good to brush it off.

hope i helped :)

Take the grips to gym, do not stretch them at all and do not sand the finger holes until the coach checks them on Bella's hands. If they are the wrong size they can be sent back if untampered with.

There really is a left and right to grips?! Wow... Ya learn something new everyday! (I've always just grabbed a grip and slapped it on...)

Your dd is only a level 2, why the need for grips? :confused::confused: Honestly, I don't think she needs them yet. Not until she's at least a level 5 or 6. Let her hands get a little toughened up first. That will make it easier down the road when she'll really need them for both low and high bar.

Forgive me if I'm stepping on toes but I don't think she needs them at level 2. JMHO.

No need to apologize. My toes were out of the way. :D

No, she doesn't need them. But the other girls in pre-team have them and you know how kids are.

I asked her coach and she said it wouldn't hurt or help other than get her used to the feel of grips.

Is that not right? Could having grips too early be a problem in the future?

Oh...and don't tell HER she's "only" a level 2! LOL She's probably get very huffy.

She's very proud to be on pre-team and cannot wait to make the L3 team. She talks about it to the point that you want to shove a wrist band in her mouth to make her shut up! (kidding for all the child abuse prevention advocates!)

The only issue with tiny hands and grips is that she could peel off the bars and that can be very scary. She certainly doesn't "need" them at L2, they can be helpful with bigger skills down the road, but elites in many countries do not wear them.

Many gyms say that girls should begin to use them after they have their kips. My girls gym never says they should wear them, and in fact only four of them do. My youngest just started using them at age 11 and she has been doing gym for 8 years!

Little ones often want them as they look cool, but then when they try to use them they hate not feeling the bar and give up. Palm guards can be the answer for little ones if they really want something.

But as I said earlier check with your coach. I did have a pair of the grips you have and the girls found they were very thick leather and were not happy with them. There are many brands of tiny grips, but I think I would wait.

Midget was put in palm guards because she was ripping a lot but she really struggled with her mill circle while wearing them. So be prepared for a learning curve on skills that may already be known. In our case it ended up with her tossing the grips and just dealing with the rips.

She had the same grips you got I believe, Pixie Grips? One of the struggles was getting them tight enough so they didnt shift around.

Little ones often want them as they look cool, but then when they try to use them they hate not feeling the bar and give up. Palm guards can be the answer for little ones if they really want something.

I think that is the BIG factor here. I think what I'll do is send them in and if her coach says let her try them, have at it. If she hates them, it was only about $15 wasted.

I think that you are spot on about thinking they are cool. and I can totally see Bella getting over the cool factor REAL quick and return to natural hands.

Midget was put in palm guards because she was ripping a lot but she really struggled with her mill circle while wearing them. So be prepared for a learning curve on skills that may already be known. In our case it ended up with her tossing the grips and just dealing with the rips.

She had the same grips you got I believe, Pixie Grips? One of the struggles was getting them tight enough so they didnt shift around.

Yeah, the littlest grips they make basically. No dowel, just very simple.

One of the other girls on PT rips a LOT. I feel so sorry for that girl. Bella has hands like a lumberjack (callous wise, not size!) so she's only had one rip.

I think that Bog is dead on with what's going on. And yes, I suppose I could refuse but that is one of my "pick your battle" areas. She wants them, her coach says it doesn't matter so I bought them and if, like Midget, she tosses them, then such is life.

I just wanted to know what I bought and how to take care of them in the event that she does decide she likes wearing them.

Let her try them, see what she thinks. They take some getting used to and sometimes you can get sores from wearing them.

Shhhhh, don't tell Bella she's 'only' a level 2. She's an awesome level 2 gymmie! :) Don't want to hurt her feelings. :rolleyes:

Eventually at some point she'll have to transition to a dowel grip(probably around L5 or 6 depending on your gym) and thats a whole new learning curve and adjustment if she's been wearing palm guards.

Guess what I'm saying is, if she doesn't like them and you put them away---don't get a new pair until she needs dowels. It will save you both some angst.

Well, we're in the gym tonight so I'll let you all know how it goes.

My prediction is that she'll try them and prance around to show off. Then she'll mount the bars, get annoyed, rip them off and that will be the last I have to hear about wearing grips for a few years. :rolleyes:

She lasted two bar rotations with the grips...palm guards I mean. (thanks Teena) Her coach showed her how to put them on and all that. Bella said they were fun but too tight around her fingers. her coach told her she would get used to them. I told her it was her call about wearing them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back