Gymnasts quitting gymnastics to pursue future career options

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

charsgymnastics

Gymnast
Reaction score
I'm in my freshman year of high school which obviously opens up lots of opportunities in regards to career planning and club/athletic activities. I have always had a soft spot for theater and have always been involved in it, preforming my first show when I was 5. I have always wanted to go onto broad way which honestly considering my current vocal and physical ability doesn't seem too unlikely but obviously still a slim chance because it is a super competitive industry.. I did pick up gymnastics around two years ago as an extra side activity to improve my flexibility and strength and ended up falling in love with it. I already had a previous background with gymnastics as I competed level 3 when I was 6 years old but I honestly remember nothing besides the videos that my mom has to prove I did. I really want to get into something that can actually give me a chance of getting a great career in the future and I truly think that broad way is just that. I obviously know I will never be able to have any chance of college gymnastics but it just hurts to let it go because I love it so much.
My hours for gymnastics are also not too drastic, every other day we train 2 hours which adds up to 6 hours each week but it does take away time from theater because I end up having to leave my rehearsals about 1 hour early to attend my practice which doesn't harm the production too much because I am only playing a supporting role right now so I'm only in like 2/3 of the scenes lol.
I just need some honest advice. Should I quit the sport I enjoy to be able to pursue my dream career or keep at it and not have a shot at getting a scholarship for college?
Anything helps, thank you

Is there a way where you can reduce your hours in the gym during theater shows so that you can be fully present at rehearsal while also still doing what you love?

In the absolute best-case scenario, you'll be a gymnast until your early-mid 20's, and is extremely unlikely to buy you a house or help you retire. Your career, on the other hand, will hopefully last you much longer than that, and will hopefully buy you a house and pay for your retirement.

Prioritize the career.

(If the career goal is in theater, have a backup plan. Actually, have a backup plan no matter what the career goal is)

If the career goal is in theater, have a backup plan. Actually, have a backup plan no matter what the career goal is
I agree with this, though I'd like to add: try to find a backup plan that you do like, even if it's not a big passion like theatre. Not just "oh this is a theoretically decent income plan but I'd be miserable".

If you want a career in theatre, I expect you'd have to do more than have a supporting role once or twice in high school. Talk to somebody who can advise you in this, I expect you have guidance counsellors at school? See if they can help you make a plan, and then see if you can fit gymnastics into that plan and in what way. That way you can prioritise your career options, and then fit the hobbies in without harming your career chances.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Back