WAG Regular testing for team gymnasts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
Do you guys have strength and flexibility tests for your team gymnasts so that you can keep track how they are progressing? How often? What kind of things do you test an measure and how?

Does testing motivate your gymnasts to work harder?

We have just started to tests our gymnasts. These are the things we do:

1. over splits. we measure how far they are from the floor
2. pike stretch standing on box. we measure how far the fingertips are from the edge
3. shoulder flexibility. they have to lift a stick with both hands ( hands are shoulder-wide) laying on floor and we measure how high they can lift it
4. pull-ups. there is 30 seconds time limit
5. leg lifts on stall bars. there is 30 seconds time limit
6. box jumps. there is 30 second time limit
7. rope without legs. we count how many steps can they take
8. this is hard to explain. it's a back muscles test, we measure how long can they maintain a straight position when they are laying on box, hips on the edge and partner sitting on their tights

Do you think we are forgetting something?

The boys have split tests once in a while. If they aren't showing improvement, they spend a little extra time on splits.

I'm just a mum so no expert! As far as I am aware my dd is not 'tested' but every activity you mentioned (and more) is part of her conditioning routine which they tend to do 3-5 times per week.

I remember a couple of years ago a very experienced coach said to me - if she practices one thing at home make it holding handstands. She was right - a strong controlled handstand is key to so many skills. Why not time their held handstands? Our gym does often have 'handstand competitions' and the rivalry is fierce!

Both the girls and the boys LOVE handstand competitions. The girls sometimes do it on the beams or on parallettes, and the boys sometimes do it on parallettes as well.

Testing is important, as it a means of seeing where each gymnasts strengths and weaknesses are to allow you to tailor their program and monitor improvements.

I would include a few more strength tests as their are certain. Uncle movements which you have not covered at all.

You have upper body pull strength (chin ups) but no upper body push strength, nor do you have shoulder flexion and extension strength. I would consider including timed handstand hold, press handstands and casts.

Timed V snaps are also very useful.

But don't expect testing to be a motivator for all gymnasts. For some it will, for some it won't. If you are out to motivate gymnasts consider strength competitions and challenges. Many be each gymnasts can have a personal best book or chart where they try to beat their own records. You could have a class record chart and they try to beat the record for the class.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back