WAG Riley out of Worlds

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's unfortunate but sadly not a surprise. Haney definitely down played the decision on Instagram.

I kinda thought that as well. There were already quite a few comments on the USAG post and I think Maggie was trying to appease people's concerns about the situation. To me a stress fracture isn't something that is no big deal. They definitely need to give Riley time to heal.

GymMom4 I agree - I believe she wrote its a "minor stress fracture" which I don't believe is a thing (I've had 3, one wasn't even a full stress fracture, and they all required time off/cross training) - and it depends on where on her body the stress fracture is (I would guess it is possibly her wrist as she was casted before Classics - but that is just my guess).

As far as the part about taking the year off, I think Haney was referring to the rest of the competition season, which really ends after worlds in October. So no, not a real calander year. Also, "time off" for an elite athlete is kind of a misnomer - she probably will still be at every practice doing whatever she can physically do.

I agree with @CoachAlex, Maggie is likely talking about giving up competition for this year (like saying "call it a day").

I'm unimpressed. So far, Maggie Haney has no athletes with any staying power, which says more about her method than about her gymnasts. Jazzy Foberg barely made a year at senior, Laurie was already falling to pieces by the Olympics, and now Riley is out as well. I am no elite coach, but I would correlate the forced technique of the MG Elite gymnasts with their injuries. They all seem to have minimal amplitude and very little use of natural momentum. Riley's falls this year have been very scary. Precise gymnastics, certainly, but it's all strained and must place great pressure on the joints.

Riley has a large amount of talent, but so do the upcoming juniors, and I would be disappointed if she didn't receive major assignments after this year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back