Off Topic RIP Nelson Mandela

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I only became aware in the mid 1980s of the anti apartheid movement due to the song ' free nelson Mandela' as a teenager!
Really resonates with me.

I only became aware in the mid 1980s of the anti apartheid movement due to the song ' free nelson Mandela' as a teenager!
Really resonates with me.

That is exactly how I learned about him as well.

Youngest DD was recently learning about him in school, which pleased me.

I hope his message lives on, freedom and integrity should never become outdated.

Yep, part of the soundtrack to my university years. Some friends and I drove a car into the centre of Leicester Square (not open to cars) pumping this out very loudly and also chained ourselves to railings outside Barclays bank. I remember the feeling of elation the minute his release was announced years later.

Incredibly brave, strong, intelligent and forgiving. Truly inspirational.

Remember it was a joke that every inner city borough had a "Mandela Towers" and every Student Union building was the "Mandela Building"

re-reading my post just to add, not that I thought it was a bad thing per se - it was just that the anti-apartheid movement was HUGE in the UK ( a lot of South Africans held/hold duel citazenship) and it became a standing quip that whatever SU you were in, be it london, Glasgow or any in between they all re-named the SU the Mandela building.

Twas snakebite in our student uni - half cider, half lager and a dash of blackcurrant. Cannot believe I used to drink that stuff??!!

And totally agree Galadriel. You start to firm up your own political views and sense of the world at around that age and the anti-apartheid movement was formative for my newly emerging sense of injustice and moral outrage.

The fact that a shining example of a human managed to endure and remain an inspiration throughout my adult life is something I'm very grateful for.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back