Off Topic RIP Nelson Mandela

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's hard to say goodbye to Nelson Mandela because he was such a great presence in the world. But when a man who was a political prisoner for 27 years successfully re-founds his nation, serves as president, watches the nation he has re-founded take its place in the world order, and dies peacefully in bed at the age of 95, this is a moment of fulfillment, not tragedy.

He will always be important to me as a reminder that no matter how mighty and oppressive the power structures we face, there is always a way for creative resistance to undermine the foundations. I'll never forget watching him on TV as he walked out of prison.

It will, I know and they will learn about him. But it's a little different to learn about inspirational people who are no longer alive, of whom there are many, as opposed to having living roll models and world leaders who you can listen to and learn from whilst they are alive and who can genuinely lead you to become a better person. His was a long story, a patient story of strength and goodness enduring and so much of what goes on now seems to transient and based on who shouts loudest, not wisest.

Ooh, it's getting a little philosophical for midnight. I think I might need to sleep before I stop making any sense at all!

I'm a teenager in Australia and know about Nelson Mandela because if the great thugs he has done... We didn't learn about him in school but he was a great inspiration

Mandela transformed the political structure of South Africa.The current rulers must work to transform the economic situation of the vast majority of South Africans.Otherwise Nelson Mandelas legacy will be reduced to philosophical appreciation by privileged nations.

The previous opression must be replaced by education,infrastructure,health care.Unfortunatly the current political class is corrupt to the core.

Cry the beloved country.

Spent many happy hours, drinking many 1GBP tequila sunrises at the Manchester Poly students union named after him.

I was going to say I don't remember that building having a name- a quick google seems to say it was actually named after Winnie Mandela, and the name was dropped after she was involved in a teenagers death.

I spent a bit of time in SA in the late 80's & early 90's. Beautiful, beautiful country. But nightmare politically.

Haven't been there for many years but hope the process Mandela, and the many others who died fighting for freedom, continues..

I was going to say I don't remember that building having a name- a quick google seems to say it was actually named after Winnie Mandela, and the name was dropped after she was involved in a teenagers death.

Interesting. I guess we all knew it as the Mandela building and never thought it was about Winnie.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back