Round off problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey everyone,

I recently got moved onto team gymnastics, level 4. We've been working on roundoff bhs, but I don't have it yet, so I'm just working on round offs. But they're majorly screwed up. (Sorry, currently can't post a video)

When I land the skill, my chest is parallel to the floor, when I should be rebounding straight up. My hands are also pretty much still on the ground when my feet hit. I try so hard to keep my chest up to rebound straight, but it just isn't happening.

No matter how much room I use to get power running, I still rebound in a piked position. My hands are in the correct position (as a righty, left hand turned to face the right hand), I block as best I can...it's so frustrating!!

Any help??

Thank you for your time,
gYmNaSt<3:D

Hard to tell without the video. Chances are that you entry into the round off may be slightly incorrect.
you may need to focus on the lunge into the round-off.
don't think about blocking. A block is something that happens when you do everything else correctly.
Do a lot of handstand snap downs from a panel mat until you have the shapes you are looking for.
A round of shouldn't rebound straight up. It should rebound up and back. You should be landing with your feet slightly in front of you so the back handspring rebounds out of the round off.
Stay tight. You won't bounce (block) if part of your body is loose.

Low quick hurdle, deep lunge, use legs from the lunge, focus on the shapes.

try kicking your back leg stronger, and stay in the cartwheel until your kick foot is almost on the floor. then snap feet together and snap 'upward'.

Don't do it from the power run until you have the shapes sorted. Think of your hands reaching forward in front of you rather than down to the ground. Don't stick your head out. Try to land in a question mark shape.

Agree with Dunno and Coach Todd, maybe even take it back a step further and work fast cartwheels kicking your back leg up, really concentrate on using your feet and legs for momentum into the cartwheel.

As Nicki says, don't reach for the ground by your feet, reach forward.

Once you have this with good flight off your hands snap that second leg in as Dunno says.

Good luck

I've seen alot of weak round-offs leading up to double backs and trip twist, and can't help but wonder what the result would be with some attention to detail. Maybe double backs are easier to coach than round-offs.....here's a quick tip list;

Build up energy/momentum by leaning forward at the start of the hurdle

Any body part that has to bend during this skill should only bend the very minimum possible

Treat the early part of the round-off like it's a fhs and really kick the back leg hard

Be the pogo stick....keep in a straight alignment. Nothing should be sticking out to the side, it should all go staight over and be balanced.

Fall onto and bounce away from the floor. That's what basketballs do, and they come off the floor pretty well. Also, I've never seen a basketball reach for the floor so.....

Be the spinning top.......But just for an initial itty bit of turn for that 1/4 turn entry. Tops don't spin, something makes them spin. I see gymnasts at incredibly high levels supporting themselves in contorted positions becuase they are trying to turn for themselves. I like to get the turn by allowing that strong back leg kick to turn my hips a wee bit, that and the contact of my front foot on the floor after the back foot has started kicking is enough to get the turn energy for the entire round-off. That allows you to keep your upper body as close to a perfectly powerful handstand position as possiible.

Concentrate on push/block to finish your turn and to set you up for a good snap-thru.

Think as much as you can of falling into the round-off from the hurdle and from the snap down into the back handspring. Gravity is a consistent force that we can use to power our bodies at critical times during the r/o bhs. If we let gravity act on us with-out obstruction (free fall) for just one second, we would be traveling just under 25 miles per hour at the end of that second, about the speed of a world class sprinter.....so....USE THE FORCE!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back