Roundoff full on beam help!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lauriepop14

im a level nine gymnast and my coach said i had to do a full twisting for my dismount but my twisting is TERRIBLE!!! i always either land on my head, or put my hands down!! my coach said i need to think layout and i do but its still really bad!! any advice?

It's true about thinking "layout" but really, it sounds like your either buckling, twisting early, or maybe both.

Sometime when gymnasts want to get back as far as they can (like in a beam dismount) they "buckle" their legs. In essence, they bend them and throw their hips forward and their head back. Not only does it absolutely kill most of your speed, it makes things scary and not as good as they could be. To solve this, feel yourself set up and legs push off straight.

Twisting early is something that is scary, and very frustrating. Twisting early slows down your flip and, again, kills your speed. Really, the only advice I have for that is to go back and re-learn a later twist. Start with a good layout, then a good 1/2, and then you'll have a good full!

I'm sure you could imagine what happens if you do both...

When your coach is saying to think "layout", maybe he/she means for you to feel your set? This will help you twist later and go higher. When you feel your set, you feel yourself rise up in the air after your punch without making any other body shape until the set is finished. A set is important, so don't try to skip it!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it!

Do a bunch of big slow layouts without the twist. Get used to a high flip that you have control of. Once you are comfortable doing this, do them with your arms up in a bit of a 'Y' shape. Once you get used to the high controlled layout with your arms up, drop an arm when you are upside down in the flip. You will twist. Usually a 1/2 twist but you'll get the idea. This should help you with the height and the timing of the twist so you don't whip the attempt at the full.

would like to see video. there might be other technical deficiencies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back