WAG Scoring - Deduction on Skills with a Fall

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
I know there's a .5 deduction on a fall, but I'm wondering if the judges also deduct for errors on the skill before the fall or how deductions work when the gymnast does the skill again. For example, if a gymnast falls doing a backwalkover on beam and their legs are bent, can there also be a deduction for bent legs or just the fall (similar question for an archy cast when they go over the bar)? If they redo the skill (maybe to get credit for element or connection) and they land it, can there be additional deductions for bent arms, legs, et al on the redo? Just curious, if the gymnast has gotten "credit" for the skill, is there more downside for doing the skill again? Thanks for thoughts!

I know there's a .5 deduction on a fall, but I'm wondering if the judges also deduct for errors on the skill before the fall or how deductions work when the gymnast does the skill again. For example, if a gymnast falls doing a backwalkover on beam and their legs are bent, can there also be a deduction for bent legs or just the fall (similar question for an archy cast when they go over the bar)? If they redo the skill (maybe to get credit for element or connection) and they land it, can there be additional deductions for bent arms, legs, et al on the redo? Just curious, if the gymnast has gotten "credit" for the skill, is there more downside for doing the skill again? Thanks for thoughts!

1. yes
2. deductions work the same for the 2nd effort.
3. yes, they can receive credit for a 1st failed attempt including all the deductions on the 2nd attempt just as the 1st.
4. yes, there is a downside. the code sucks. the more you do the more they take. the key is fulfilling the requirements by doing the least required and as little as possible. it's your best chance of scoring above a 9.5.

Just wait for the higher optional levels - special requirements, connections, series, bonuses - double yikes! My dd's L9 beam and bars routines this season are the absolute bare minimum to get the start value; nothing more. I think her bar routine is all of maybe 40 seconds; her beam routine is well under the time limit. Extra things just equate to the potential for extra deductions.

But what if the skill you fall on is a required skill. I have heard that say on a back walkover that if your feet don't hit the beam and you just go down the side that not only does it count for a fall but also that you didn't have the essential skill in your routine. At that point, would it be better to repeat it and hope you land it?

Another example is this weekend my dd fell on her cartwheel that was part of a cartwheel/round off series. She got up and started the whole series again and landed both elements. Had she just gotten back up and done the round off what would the difference be?

The coach should have let the girls know when to repeat a skill or not. There is a point during the skill which it is considered "complete" For example, the level 4 and 5, handstand, if a gymnast goes up into a handstand, comes down and her foot touches the beam before she falls, it is a complete skill, .5 is lost for the fall, plus additional form deductions that may have happened during the handstand. Now if the gymnast goes into a handstand and falls off the end of the beam, there is an additional .6 deduction for the missing skill, at that time, it's best to repeat. She will get the deduction for the fall, plus the form deductions during the 2 handstand attempts. I cringe when I see girls repeating a completed skill because of a

But what if the skill you fall on is a required skill. I have heard that say on a back walkover that if your feet don't hit the beam and you just go down the side that not only does it count for a fall but also that you didn't have the essential skill in your routine. At that point, would it be better to repeat it and hope you land it?

Another example is this weekend my dd fell on her cartwheel that was part of a cartwheel/round off series. She got up and started the whole series again and landed both elements. Had she just gotten back up and done the round off what would the difference be?

I think it depends on the skill/requirement. Dd's coaches have gone through what is best to do with falls based on individual skills and when the fall happens. For instance, I *think* she said that if she is doing her bwo/bhs, and falls on the bwo, she needs to try the whole series again (or if she's too nervous, just skip it but that will be huge deductions), but if she makes her bwo and falls on her bhs, she should just move on (as long as she got one foot on the beam, which she always does). Dd usually does fine with her jump series but sometimes she comes down odd on the first and when it happens, she will repeat the whole series. I'm not sure what is best for points but for her, she is confident that she will get the series the second time and doesn't want to give up the connection.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

1. yes
2. deductions work the same for the 2nd effort.
3. yes, they can receive credit for a 1st failed attempt including all the deductions on the 2nd attempt just as the 1st.
4. yes, there is a downside. the code sucks. the more you do the more they take. the key is fulfilling the requirements by doing the least required and as little as possible. it's your best chance of scoring above a 9.5.

I should probably start a new thread, but Dunno- do your 9/10's do the bare necessities in their routines? My DD has a level 9 skill loaded bar routine that she could compete as a 10. I know she would score higher if she took some stuff out, but I also know it is preparing her for level 10....so what is best?!

it depends on the meet. sometimes we do the bare necessities and sometimes the kitchen sink. all meets are the same, but the goals and objectives change depending on what the meet is being used for and whom the competition might be.:)

and more likely than not, your daughter's coach will scale down her routine when she competes at 8 regionals and again at 9 nationals cause those 2 meets you try to win. if you want to win, less is more.:)

not sure if somebody has mentioned it but where we are, at least 1 foot must land on the beam for the skill to count, so our coach says what ever you do try and get one foot on then it counts but you had a fall (i.e. where we are it is 1.00 for a fall and then if you didn't get the foot on the beam, it would be 1.5 for attempting but not completing the skill)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back