WAG Scoring help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

z2akids

Proud Parent
DD had a bit of a rough meet this weekend. I was wondering if anyone with L4 judging experience could help me with figuring out a big deduction she got. I can send a video.

don't waste your energy. there are going to be many more big deductions as she progresses. :)

She fell out of her high bar kip and she was curious what she lost because of it. It isn't a big deal, but she was surprised with where her score ended up, given that she missed a skill and? had a fall.

Anyway, she was surprisingly unphased by the whole thing. She planned to ask her coach, but has been sick since the meet, so I thought I would see if I could give her an estimate and then she can fully move on.

She fell out of her high bar kip and she was curious what she lost because of it. It isn't a big deal, but she was surprised with where her score ended up, given that she missed a skill and? had a fall.

Anyway, she was surprisingly unphased by the whole thing. She planned to ask her coach, but has been sick since the meet, so I thought I would see if I could give her an estimate and then she can fully move on.
What Dunno said, the point is... It's irrelevant. Eliminate all deductions is the only goal, not trying to figure out how much each is. Hope that makes sense. So as a parent,, don't get caught up in any of it or you will go insane.

Okay. I am not going crazy trying to figure out deductions. I do find it odd that curiosity is so frowned upon in this sport. A kid falls and misses a major skill in her routine and is curious how much that hurt her score. No one is asking to second guess the judges and tell us where her routine was deducted. She is normally very consistent and hopefully will never miss her kip I competition again. This isn't - how does she fix it.

I received an answer which I passed on to her. No big deal and certainly not a parent stressing over scores. I don't care how she scores. She just lover training and competing. Personally, I am just proud that she can go out in front of crowds and put herself in front of the judges, etc. I think there should be medals for poise under pressure for all of them.

Sorry for the long winded answer. I just feel like I am being put down for a asking a simple question

I totally understand why you were asking. This is a gymnastics forum...for gymnastics questions....if you can't ask here, then where? If the point made above is that you don't need to worry about the details, then there are plenty of other topics on here that would fall under that category as well. But we should be able to speak freely on here.

I totally understand why you were asking. This is a gymnastics forum...for gymnastics questions....if you can't ask here, then where? If the point made above is that you don't need to worry about the details, then there are plenty of other topics on here that would fall under that category as well. But we should be able to speak freely on here.

I think the problem is when the parent asks for the purpose of sharing the information with their gymnast, which may cause them to inadvertently undermine the coach or even relay information incorrectly to their child. I am not saying they wouldn't mean well or respect the coach even while doing this, but it's very likely. Because each child progresses at their own pace and has certain idiosyncrasies to their gymnastics, the coach might be focusing on eliminating certain deductions before others, for instance. Most deductions come from incorrect technique and body alignment which I think would is very difficult for someone who doesn't know a lot about gymnastics to convey in a helpful way. So they might end up confusing the child or telling them something contrary to what their coach is instructing them on, which could affect your child's trust in the coach.

If the parent is asking because they're curious and don't plan to share, then it doesn't bother me.

I'm a l4 gymnast.... willing to try and help (if you still want after the comments lol). If not, no hard feelings :)

I think the problem is when the parent asks for the purpose of sharing the information with their gymnast, which may cause them to inadvertently undermine the coach or even relay information incorrectly to their child. I am not saying they wouldn't mean well or respect the coach even while doing this, but it's very likely. Because each child progresses at their own pace and has certain idiosyncrasies to their gymnastics, the coach might be focusing on eliminating certain deductions before others, for instance. Most deductions come from incorrect technique and body alignment which I think would is very difficult for someone who doesn't know a lot about gymnastics to convey in a helpful way. So they might end up confusing the child or telling them something contrary to what their coach is instructing them on, which could affect your child's trust in the coach.

If the parent is asking because they're curious and don't plan to share, then it doesn't bother me.
And THAT is a much more acceptable response and shows thought behind it. Just saying "don't waste your energy" doesn't give any reasoning behind it.

It took until after 3 meets in new level 4 for us to figure out that nobody ever told my daughter that a fall off the beam was .5

Guess how much she missed qualifying for states by? .5.

I joked that somehow we have glue her feet to the beam, and she asked "Why, how much is a fall?" I told her. Her eyes got really big, and she said "Do you mean if I didn't fall, I could have made States???" I said "Possibly. You never know what you might have gotten deducted on form". I didn't want to say "Absolutely".
So from then on, we've joked that it's a .5 bonus to STAY on the beam.

I'm not saying if she knew it was .5, would she have tried to fight harder to stay on? I don't know. I do know that following that meet, she wanted to learn how to REALLY fight when she wobbles (up until then, all of the girls, if they wobbled, they jumped off).

And THAT is a much more acceptable response and shows thought behind it. Just saying "don't waste your energy" doesn't give any reasoning behind it.
Well,,,, it is a waste of energy. You can sit around all day Sunday and try and calculate who could of won the football game had this turnover or that turnover not happened,,,,,, or you can just try and play better next time and not turn the ball over.... Not to mention the parent will drive them selves crazy trying to figure it out and then eventually go online to seek guidance from complete strangers.... Oh wait... Just saying.... :) We really are here to help.

Someone from another team once heard me say "Go get that bonus on beam!".
She looked at me funny, and then looked like she was asking her mom friends what bonus can you get in Level 4??? When DD stayed on the beam (for the first time), and I cried to my mom "She stay on mom! She stayed on!!", the other mom caught my eye and said "Did she get her bonus?" And I said "Yes, she stayed on the beam!". Then I realized her confusion and explained. She laughed so hard, because she was trying to figure out how to get her own daughter to get a bonus ;)

Okay. I am not going crazy trying to figure out deductions. I do find it odd that curiosity is so frowned upon in this sport.
I have always been somewhat confounded by why these kind of questions are often so quickly dismissed. I love to learn about almost everything, so I think for me it has been more of a quest for knowledge than seeking to be a candidate for at-home coach or CGM. Of course, the basic points around scoring were more easily understood at the compulsory level. At L9 I have pretty much given up on understanding the scoring nuances, but at least I feel knowledgeable enough to know how much I don't really know. ;)

I've truly given up trying to work out scores. I've seen DD do some beautiful routines that scored low, and some seriously terrible routines that scored mid 9's. Her vault at states last year was mind boggling. Her knees were hurting and she pretty much limped down the runway, massive pike, no block... 9.350. Her one and only beam routine with no falls or wobbles... 8.216. She's got the same-ish score the rest of the season with at least 2+ falls every time.

I've learnt that I have absolutely no idea what looks good.

I have always been somewhat confounded by why these kind of questions are often so quickly dismissed. I love to learn about almost everything, so I think for me it has been more of a quest for knowledge than seeking to be a candidate for at-home coach or CGM. Of course, the basic points around scoring were more easily understood at the compulsory level. At L9 I have pretty much given up on understanding the scoring nuances, but at least I feel knowledgeable enough to know how much I don't really know. ;)

I agree. Especially in compulsory. It's completely normal to wonder what the deduction is for a fall off beam. Goodness. Don't feel bad for asking OP.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back