Season over and getting ready for next year

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Well this season is finally over (thank God) With all the snow storms and canceled meets with rescheduled dates etc my DD didn't get the chance to qualify for sectionals or states. So she finally has calmed down about it and and now looks at it like this she will be a very strong L7 next season and if she has her L8 skills they will let her move up if she has the mobility score in one of the meets this fall.

So she is content with that outcome - not happy but content. Guess that is all we can hope for. With a promise to go to the VISA cup in Conn this summer she is getting to happy (Just a mom and her trip - which is something she wanted)

We will have to wait and see what the summer holds.

Her coach wants her to have new floor music which also means a new floor routine that she feels would be better and easier to upgrade and would probably score better as the judges tend not to like the movie/show themes as much.

Not sure if I am going along with that since she only did her current floor about 4 times and it cost alot for the music and choreographer to do a new routine. I have until the end of May to decide that.

Great that she is moving on with some clear goals and that she is finally feeling okay about her short season. Not easy.

As for the floor rouinte, I'd have such a hard time shelling out more money after only four meets. We keep ours two years, which in reality is only 6-8 meets, but thats plenty of time.

You and dd certainly have had a tough season. At least she has goals for the summer and fall and can start getting to work on those.

I don't think I would junk a floor routine after only 4 meets. Usually at that point they're really just getting used to the routine and starting to feel comfortable with it. Maybe some changes to the choreo might make a difference without having to get new music and alll new choreo.

GL on those L8 skills!

Thanks guys.
I'm thinking at this point with the floor to keep her current one even though coach says music hurts her score since judges really don't like movie/show/ tv theme tunes. and if she moves to L8 we can talk about somthing new (which I'm sort of hoping she doesn't really so it will be a less stressful season at least for me)

I will have to talk to the coach more on this and see exactly what type of money we are talking about and if DD really wants to change her routine etc.

I've heard alot of movie themes especially at meets and they seem to do just fine. We have girls on our team using movie themes and seem to score in the 9s(levels 7-10).

I have seen a change in the choreo make a big difference in a routine. We had a girl that had hit a major growth spurt over 1 summer and she no longer looked like she was 12ish(she was 14 at the time), but the music was really for a younger gymnast. Got our new choreographer to redo the dance and 1 tumbling pass and the routine looked more mature and fit the gymmie much better. She was able to finish out her 2nd year with it and score well. Keep that as an option.

This music thing can be a real headache. My gymmie does not really like her music at all, but the choreo works well for her and she has scored in the 9s all season. She seems resigned to keep it, but the choreographer will make some additions for her to use it at L9.

GL!!!!

Have you considered selling it to a younger, new level 7? The new level 7 would get it for a discount and you would have money for a new routine so the coach is happy.

I'm sorry she doesn't like her music! I clicked on your link just to see her routines again, and t hen I realized I saw her original choreography when she had just gotten her new routine! I LOVE her music!!! I have also seen lots of show tunes at meets and the girls score well with their routines. I've also seen routines "tweaked" a bit, and that makes all the difference (sometimes). I sure would hate to dole out the extra $$ when the routines has been used only 4 times!

I hadn't realized that Isabel had been battling fear issues as well! Good for her for overcoming them and progressing! A second year of L7 is definitely NOT the end of the world, and many gyms around me compete their girls for 2 years at L7, especially now with the requirements really tightening up!

Wishing the best luck w/training over the summer and decideing WHAT to do about that floor routine!

Have you considered selling it to a younger, new level 7? The new level 7 would get it for a discount and you would have money for a new routine so the coach is happy.

I have but there is only one new L7 (we had only 3 L6 girls and only one is moving up) This more dramatic music and routine just doesn't fit her personallity at all - she is more of an up beat jazzy type girl. My DD is more the dramatic and classical music type.

I'm sorry she doesn't like her music! I clicked on your link just to see her routines again, and t hen I realized I saw her original choreography when she had just gotten her new routine! I LOVE her music!!! I have also seen lots of show tunes at meets and the girls score well with their routines. I've also seen routines "tweaked" a bit, and that makes all the difference (sometimes). I sure would hate to dole out the extra $$ when the routines has been used only 4 times!

I hadn't realized that Isabel had been battling fear issues as well! Good for her for overcoming them and progressing! A second year of L7 is definitely NOT the end of the world, and many gyms around me compete their girls for 2 years at L7, especially now with the requirements really tightening up!

Wishing the best luck w/training over the summer and decideing WHAT to do about that floor routine!

Oh DD and I love her music and routine. Our coach says the area judges aren't the ones keen on techno or show/tv theme music and those routines seem to score a bit lower than other music. The music that the coach was recommending was a dramatic classical piece similar to DD's first choice of music. But at that time we had a different coach who loved the show tunes (almost the whole team has them) and was not going to allow a classical music piece. Why because she was forced to have that when she competed and hated it so she wouldn't let others have it. Glad she is gone now.

the new music does suit DD and her style and DD likes that too. That's why I'm leaning more towards keeping current music for L7 and switching at L8. In our gym they usually keep the same music and routine for both levels and just tweek it up a bit for the L8 routine.

We still have some time to make a decision on this so after the April vacation week DD, myself and Coach will sit down and see financially if this is doable first and then see if the change is really something DD wants.

Her fear issues is on the layout pass. The old coach that left was supposed to spot her when she was first learning it and when DD went for it coach walked away distracted by one of the "favorite" gymnasts. DD landed on her shoulders and head and had a mild concussion. Needless to say the fear issues developed from that point on with that pass. She no longer trusted that someone would actually spot her. There was a point that 2 people were out there trying to convince her to go for it while they spotted. She is just now trusting that no one will let her fall hard like before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good plan for next year! Good luck to her. As far as the floor routine--does she want a new one? I'm a pushover--if my daughter wants, I'm more inclined towards it. If she's happy with it, I'd stick with it another year.

Sounds like a good plan for next year! Good luck to her. As far as the floor routine--does she want a new one? I'm a pushover--if my daughter wants, I'm more inclined towards it. If she's happy with it, I'd stick with it another year.

Not necesarily. She wasn't even thinking about a new routine or music she does love her current routine. The coach mentioned the change and said the judges don't care for show tunes so they do score lower (yeah I know it shouldn't matter but you know it does). She likes the music the coach suggested too but she wouldn't be unhappy or disapointed if she stayed with the current stuff. That was why I'm leaning towards taking new stuff for L8 and keeping what she has for L7. I can't really see spending that kind of money when she hasn't really used the current one that much.

I have NEVER heard the judges do not like showtunes or movie themes (Im a judge as well as a coach). Its difficult to get great scores when you have music that the judges hear over & over. Judges like good routines! (not saying your DD's routine isnt good, but maybe the music doesnt allow her to set herself apart). Is it a commonly used or currently popular piece of music?

I have NEVER heard the judges do not like showtunes or movie themes (Im a judge as well as a coach). Its difficult to get great scores when you have music that the judges hear over & over. Judges like good routines! (not saying your DD's routine isnt good, but maybe the music doesnt allow her to set herself apart). Is it a commonly used or currently popular piece of music?

I don't think its common as I haven't heard it anywhere else except for one meet where there was a team from Arizona where one girl had it.

I think her routine suits her and her personality. Don't know really if judges think its good. She has scored aroun 8.5 - 8.9 with it but I know the points she lost was for he layout tumbling pass. Still some fear on that one - taking her time to get over the fall from the summer when a coach walked away that was supposed to be spotting her.

Just proves that the Music can't really explain scores. Why should it? There's no deduction, and judges are mostly focusing skills anyway.

To me it's more like certain music is overused, but, with a good routine, even that should not be an issue. It's more likely though, that those who are using the overused music just did not put in the same effort as some other coaches/choreographers might have, which reflects the overall coaching philosophy and therefore attention to detail in all areas (thus resulting in low scores).

Also, if your dd has had issues with that layout and she's still been scoring high 8s then, if you add a couple of tenths, that's be quite a decent score already.

The music choice just doesn't seem like a valid explanation to me. More like an excuse for mistakes made elsewhere / lack of attention to detail. I wouldn't change it, if she's happy with it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back