WAG Shoot through

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MUTigerMom

Proud Parent
My daughter is in Level 3. She had all the skills for her bar routine in August/September. (They weren't pretty by any means, but she could do them.) She went through a growth spurt and lost her shoot through. A few months ensued with tears and frustration. Then one day she announced that they "figured it out." So, it turns out that she is doing some type of modification which leads to the slowest shoot through ever. (Like she literally looks like she is in slow motion.) I asked her about it and she said it is a "cheat" but that she can't do it the regular way because her legs are too long for her arms. (She swears she's not losing points because her leg doesn't touch the bar, but I can't imagine she isn't because it looks, well to be honest, weird.)

So... my question is- "Is this really a thing?" Can she really not do it because of her leg length in relation to her arm length?

Honestly, I don't care because if she's happy and thinks she's doing it, then I'm happy. :) And I know that this is one of those skills that will thankfully disappear next year. I will add that she is pretty leggy (her soccer coach calls her "baby giraffe") and she is not very naturally flexible.

My daughter is in Level 3. She had all the skills for her bar routine in August/September. (They weren't pretty by any means, but she could do them.) She went through a growth spurt and lost her shoot through. A few months ensued with tears and frustration. Then one day she announced that they "figured it out." So, it turns out that she is doing some type of modification which leads to the slowest shoot through ever. (Like she literally looks like she is in slow motion.) I asked her about it and she said it is a "cheat" but that she can't do it the regular way because her legs are too long for her arms. (She swears she's not losing points because her leg doesn't touch the bar, but I can't imagine she isn't because it looks, well to be honest, weird.)

So... my question is- "Is this really a thing?" Can she really not do it because of her leg length in relation to her arm length?

Honestly, I don't care because if she's happy and thinks she's doing it, then I'm happy. :) And I know that this is one of those skills that will thankfully disappear next year. I will add that she is pretty leggy (her soccer coach calls her "baby giraffe") and she is not very naturally flexible.
It IS really a thing. think about it. There is only so much fixed area between the hands from the bar to and from the body.
mill circle.png
* Photo courtesy of a youtube video on shoot throughs
If she has the unfortunate combination of :
Long torso, Short arms, Long legs
then it is possible she would not be able to get her long leg through that space in the usual way.

My YG had to do the sneak through because of this combination.

BTW, it can also affect the ability to do a squat on the right way. YG's arms FINALLY caught up this summer, but then her legs and torso grew again so the squat on is back on vacation. She is now working on a cheater's squat on.

I think that is how my daughter is doing it. I wish I had clear video to post, but the team on vault got up just as she started her floor routine. So she is the tiny blurry ant on bars in the background. When she does it, it almost looks like she is trying to put her knee on the bar and then she sneaks the foot through. She said that it took her a bit to learn to do it without touching the bar. It seems much slower and less smooth than the normal way. It's working for her, so I'm cool with that! It's good to hear someone else went through this! It sounds like unless those arms grow, we will move from a cheat shoot through to a cheat squat on!

I think that is how my daughter is doing it. I wish I had clear video to post, but the team on vault got up just as she started her floor routine. So she is the tiny blurry ant on bars in the background. When she does it, it almost looks like she is trying to put her knee on the bar and then she sneaks the foot through. She said that it took her a bit to learn to do it without touching the bar. It seems much slower and less smooth than the normal way. It's working for her, so I'm cool with that! It's good to hear someone else went through this! It sounds like unless those arms grow, we will move from a cheat shoot through to a cheat squat on!
I’ve seen kids do this! Glad she found something that works!

Sounds like it works for her. Maybe it will hurt her score some, but after level 3 she will not need it ever again. So it is find what works for now and move on situation.

Sounds like it works for her. Maybe it will hurt her score some, but after level 3 she will not need it ever again. So it is find what works for now and move on situation.
Lol, you are right... but the shoot through is similar to the squat on... and until her arms catch up to the rest of her, she could have the same problem with a squat on. BT/DT unfortunately.

No it’s not a thing. Anyone with enough strength can push down on the bar and “pike up” far enough to make enough space for the foot to go through. She might not have the strength, or she might be too scared too lean far enough forward to make it. If she can lift her knee to her chest, and can kick to at least horizontal, then it’s not a flexibility issue.

Since you say she can only do it in slo-mo I think it’s a fear thing. Does she fall backwards when she tries it fast? Or does she fail to get her foot through? If A then she has to lean her shoulders forward over the bar. If B then she has to push the bar down harder/lift her hips higher to make room for her foot. A good drill for this is starting in a front support and piking up as far as she can. You can do this on the vault table, edge of the pit, swimming pool, a block, etc.

Hahahaha, Aero, I was just about to ask, "so if it's something that clearly correlates to body type and doesn't obviously lead into some highly necessary skill later on, why the heck is it in the compulsory routine?"
I was told:
1. Wrist shift
2. Reverse grip
That is all.

I also hate the stride circle.

Now, the shoot thru does lead to the squat on (same motion)...
So maybe they could change it to shoot thru ... Then rotate the body and do the cut back with the other leg, lol.

my kid went through that and lost her shoot through too. luckily she adjusted to the growth spurt but it was two meets where she fell. so fun growth spurts. lol

Hahahaha, Aero, I was just about to ask, "so if it's something that clearly correlates to body type and doesn't obviously lead into some highly necessary skill later on, why the heck is it in the compulsory routine?"

I think it’s a good thing cause it gets kids training the reverse grip at a young age.

I'm confused but if she's able to push up and step through without touching her foot, she should be able to cast into it. I have indeed had some kids who never got it without brushing/tapping the bar but they couldnt do fast slow or in between :)

I think it’s a good thing cause it gets kids training the reverse grip at a young age.

I don't know -- when do most gyms start training front giants in earnest for girls? There's really not much in between to reinforce. My daughter's team doesn't compete that level, but the 9s and 10s do seem to manage to figure it out. And there's nothing like that in the boys' compulsory routines, yet many are doing front giants in L6.

My kid turned her leg sideways on the shoot-through (I have the photos to prove it), but did it fast and explosively out of a nice high cast. And scored well on bars. So I don’t think it’s necessary to go slowly to “cheat” the leg through sideways.

I don't know -- when do most gyms start training front giants in earnest for girls? There's really not much in between to reinforce. My daughter's team doesn't compete that level, but the 9s and 10s do seem to manage to figure it out. And there's nothing like that in the boys' compulsory routines, yet many are doing front giants in L6.

True there’s a big gap. I always thought the mill circle was a fun skill and looks so cool when done right. Who knows maybe it’s meant to be a weed-out skill? If you can’t master it you may struggle a lot going forward…

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back