WAG Shoot through

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I think there are zero gymnasts in this country who can do a shoot through or mill circle (or maybe we have a few who have moved here from the US) . Actually, we don't even have a translation for that skill. Maybe that's why we are not as competitive as the US in gymnastics!? :eek::rolleyes:

I think there are zero gymnasts in this country who can do a shoot through or mill circle (or maybe we have a few who have moved here from the US) . Actually, we don't even have a translation for that skill. Maybe that's why we are not as competitive as the US in gymnastics!? :eek::rolleyes:
Here the mill circle is a real playground skill. I have kids who can't back hip circle who have a (ugly) mill circle. The shoot througt, never seen it.

Here the mill circle is a real playground skill. I have kids who can't back hip circle who have a (ugly) mill circle. The shoot througt, never seen it.
I thought the shoot through was just the part of the mill circle where they cast and stick a leg between their arms before circling?

I thought the shoot through was just the part of the mill circle where they cast and stick a leg between their arms before circling?

That is a shoot through but isn’t actually part of the mill circle. In level 2, they do the mill circle but not the shoot through.

Reactions: sce
For us in Germay, shoot through and mill circle are skills that the gymnast going to elite won't learn at all. The path to elite starts with: glide swing - pullover - cast (90°) - BHC - straddle on - underswing
They do not even learn a FHC and I think german gymnasts always ends up in the bar finals like Kim Bui, Eli Seitz and Sophie Scheder. So it seems to work without those skills ;)

All the other not high-level gymnast mostly learn a kip, FHC and build up their routines with this skills.

For all girls, who are not that talented on bars, the shoot through and mill circle are skills with no value to fill up to 6 required elements. Otherwise they end up with a deduction for each missing skill.

As a coach, I won't waste my time with teaching both of this skills, either the girls learned it on the playground or they have to figure it out intuitively. Kip and casts should be focused.

If only World Uneven Bar Champion and Olympic UB medalist Madison Kocian hadn't had to waste her time on those useless front hip and mill circles, imagine where she could be? Champion of the Universe?!

As a coach, I won't waste my time with teaching both of this skills, either the girls learned it on the playground or they have to figure it out intuitively. Kip and casts should be focused.
Too bad in the US, it is required if you compete L3.
Luckily, many girls on our team are able to move on even if they NEVER succeed on the mill circle... but either a legit shoot thru or a cheater shoot thru is more successful before moving on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Back