Short term gym around Memphis, TN

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, we're stationed in the UK and looking at visiting the family for the summer. Can you recommend a good quality (high coaching standards) gym for dd who is learning US level 5 (based on YouTube videos). From the videos, I know that she hasn't yet done 3 tumbling moves in a row, land on feet when vaulting (she lands on back perfectly though), and is not pulling up on the kip yet. Dd's coaches here are quite good (the girls are regional champs, a few nationals and one is in the GB team) and I'd hate to just put her in any gym and come back with lots of things to fix by her current coach.

Hubby's family is on the MS side of Memphis but my sis in law lives in Germantown and we're looking more of staying there. But, if there's anything around Hernando area that's great, I'll look too. I am willing to drive 45 min or so since it's how far our drive is now.

Or should I look at summer kind of camps? Those are short though, right? Just a week or two? We're looking at visiting for the summer.

Thanks!

Can't help you with the gyms, but the gym camps usually run 1 week sessions--obviously you can stay longer if you want to pay. Many of the camps have already opened with the last sessions being in mid August. You could try and supplement whatever gym training you can find with a camp held at a gym in the area you're visiting.

River City Gymnastics is a pretty friendly gym from what I've seen, not sure about coaching styles, though.
Home Page
Wimbleton is also in the Memphis area, I think they are better on the Men's side, but at your DDs level it should be fine.
Wimbleton Gymnastics - Memphis, TN
There is a big summer overnight gym camp in Crossville, TN (on the East side of the state) if you wanted to drive out that way and drop DD off for a week. They only have limited weeks available at this point and is pretty pricey, though not too bad compared to some other camps.
The Camp | Flip Fest
Some gym clubs also have day camps and/or team camps certain weeks of the summer. The day camps tend to be more for fun rather than training intensive, but the gym you choose might be able to work something out or find one that fits your DDs needs.

I would suggest e-mailing gyms and asking if having your DD come in for a few days would be an option, I'm sure they would let you know about what they have available. You could also have your family in the states pull out a phone book and see what is available within the general area.

Thank you! Will look into your suggestions and send out some emails/phone calls. We have Skype unlimited to the US, so can call the states for super cheap.

Remember when you are looking at Gyms in that area Arkansas is just across the Mississippi River and my not show up on a search for TN. I don't live in that area but I am about 2 hours away.

Conxion gymnastics is on the Mississippi side. It's in Hernando, MS. It's about 30-40 minutes from Memphis.

You can also check out the Tennessee USAG website for a list of gyms: Tennessee USAG. Even though DD competes in the same state, I am still not very familiar with the Memphis gyms at least on the compulsory level. They don't usually travel to our part of the state and we don't make the drive there (about 6+ hrs total). :) Good luck!

Last I heard, River City does not do compulsories. I don't think Gymstars does either. They both do prep opt which might be a great fit for your daughter. I would only consider those two gyms or SEGA. RVC is in Bartlett (30 min from Germantown) and Gymstars/SEGA are 3 blocks apart in Collierville (close to Germantown depending on where you are). Gymstars usually has camp in August. RVC is in July, I think. Nevermind those, however, and just call and join the team for whatever time you are in town. I would think the most consistent coaching at the younger levels would be at RVC. The highest performing optionals, however, are clearly at SEGA and Gymstars.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back