WAG Shorts at meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I had a rec kid get her leo-skirt get wrapped around the bar on a back hip circle the other day. Like- all the way around the bar wrapped and she was attached to the bar. I had to maneuver her all over the place to get it off o_O
Are the parents really that dense. Never mind, clearly yes

If you have to compete in a Leotard then working out in one everyday will make you completely comfortable in it. The last thing I want is a child getting ready to salute the judge and thinking about how they look, instead of what they need to do. That is why some coaches (including our gym) want kids in Leotards on a daily basis. Obviously if its cold out we let them wear body armor shirts/ pants,, but being in Southern CA..... well.... it was 91 here yesterday! :) And yes our teens wear Leo's every day, no shorts, no problems = a strong mind at meets.

Pre-team and team girls aren't allowed to wear shorts at all at our gym. No unitards, no bar shorts, no other shorts, period.
With one girl in ballet and the other in gym, I just don't see the issue. It's a uniform for the sport/art form they participate in. If they were swimmers (as I was) they would be in a swimsuit. :)

Yeah I see what you're saying- it's just the uniform. I just think there are differences between swimming in water and doing gymnastics routines, and dancers can wear tights and skirts. I just don't see why the uniform can't be changed to include shorts or leggings- like the boys.

Yeah I see what you're saying- it's just the uniform. I just think there are differences between swimming in water and doing gymnastics routines, and dancers can wear tights and skirts. I just don't see why the uniform can't be changed to include shorts or leggings- like the boys.
As long as they are gymnastics shorts, such as GK, I really don't see what the problem is

I once ran into one of the feminine issues above for the first time at a competition and was permitted to wear shorts without a deduction.

However I was deathly embarrassed because my coach had to give the reason to the judges. Also because people were asking why I was wearing shorts, one coach from another gym even pulling my coach away from the beam during my routine exclaiming "she didn't take off her shorts, stop her routine!"
I have too. Of course, we still had the white leos. Thankfully, I only had one event left. Not so thankfully the little level 3s were with me....

Our leggings are team issued so all girls have the same pair and coaches approve of sizes.

It seems simple enough to lay out parameters of what is acceptable: no sweat pants, no yoga pants, no t shirts, no sweat shirts, no tank tops. Leotards, leggings and shorts must be snug with no loose fabric that could be a safety factor or interfere with spotting. Final caveat...coach's directive is final. No different from a school dress code. If it is out of dress code, they must change into something appropriate or leave the floor. Not in a punitive way but because of safety. If you couch it in terms of safety, it is hard for parents to argue that they are okay with their kids getting hurt. LOL
As long as we wear tight fitting clothing our coaches don't care. If you ask to wear a tshirt they may let you, and they don't really mind soffee shorts either. But no sweatpants, sweatshirts, etc.

We have to wear leotards. If your on team it's what you've gotta do. Except the day your forget a leotard and you have to wear your school dress code shirt.....

Team Leo on competition, no exceptions. Can wear shorts for practices, but have to be tight gym shorts. Coach commented sth. about seeing the hips b4.

Yeah I've heard the seeing the hips reason- I just dont get why judges need to see girls' hips but not boys' hips. Are the skills so different?

The gyms I've gone to have been loose about dress codes, basically no buttons on pants. I haven't seen girls compete in shorts but I have seen them worn in between events.
I have too. Of course, we still had the white leos. Thankfully, I only had one event left. Not so thankfully the little level 3s were with me....
This is why I refuse to buy white leotards :confused: and would be very sad if I had to compete in one! Which I'd probably end up staining because I'd spill my lunch or something on it! Needless to say I don't have a good track record with white clothes....

At meets, it's a Leo and nothing more. At practice, it's a Leo and nothing more...except for older girls during that time of the month. Two summers ago, HC allowed athletic tank tops (embroidered with gym name) and bar shorts. There was some issue readjusting to a Leo for some girls when the season started so she has since changed the policy.

Leo's only at practice and meets. They got cute little bike shorts as the gift at this weekends meet and DD told me this morning she wished she could wear them to gym.

No shorts at any time for us, even at that time of the month. It's been this way for years. The one problem I have noticed is that I don't notice as much when my leo starts to creep up. Like way up. I think this could be more of an issue than wearing spandex, as obviously it is revealing where as spandex are not.

All the girls at DD's gym wear shorts for training and to meets. They just take them off to compete, then put them back on.

That is brilliant! I never would have thought of it.

I've learned the hard way. Trying to say "no skirts" is like speaking another language or something because it never works. I am not sure why, but now I have just developed techniques to fight it. So now, I just gather it up like a ponytail into a rubber band "don't want you to get caught on the bar and ruin your pretty skirt", works pretty well.

The gyms I've gone to have been loose about dress codes, basically no buttons on pants. I haven't seen girls compete in shorts but I have seen them worn in between events.

This is why I refuse to buy white leotards :confused: and would be very sad if I had to compete in one! Which I'd probably end up staining because I'd spill my lunch or something on it! Needless to say I don't have a good track record with white clothes....
alpha factor messed up the color :eek: it was supposed to be a darker silver :rolleyes: well.... our coaches learned there lesson, we no longer order from alpha factor and will never do a white again :)

:rolleyes:Hmmm makes me wonder if white leo's tend to be ordered by men. :rolleyes:

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back