WAG Shorts at meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are at a leo only gym. They can wear leggings/shirts if it is cold in the gym (rarely). However, once it is warm again, shorts and leggings are OFF. It's a non negotiable. We don't have any issues at meets.

Actually shoes are allowed on certain events (I forget which though, Beam and Floor???, because my daughter goes barefoot). So those girls that want to, can.
None of them seem to have an issue at meets though and most choose barefoot even when they can wear their shoes.

I do know that Ellie Black from Canada wears shoes on beam and vault. My oldest dd went to watch her friend compete a Canadian nationals last year, she got to meet Ellie and actually asked her about that. Apparently she actually wears trampoline shoes instead of beam shoes , but they do the same thing.

No shorts on our team girls ever. I don't know if it's a specific rule, but no one has ever worn shorts to practice that I've seen. Leos only. This goes for all ages from preteam through level 10s. Actually, I remember the parent of one little preteam girl being told to take her shorts off, so I guess maybe it is an actual rule.
Our rec kids and Xcel girls all wear shorts and other combinations of clothing.

Pardon the indelicate question, but what do the older girls do once a month? Old HC banned shorts, so DD stopped wearing them, but older girls were able to when needed. Now most girls have gotten back into wearing them. I don't know what new HC's policy is.

Pardon the indelicate question, but what do the older girls do once a month? Old HC banned shorts, so DD stopped wearing them, but older girls were able to when needed. Now most girls have gotten back into wearing them. I don't know what new HC's policy is.
You learn to deal with it ie; dark leos and going to the bathroom regularly. There are some girls on my team who refuse to use the obvious choice for gymnastics but they make sure to wear patterned leos so you can barely tell.

Just noticed this, in the AAU handbook it says the ladies division (19 and older) may wear "biker" style shorts that match the fabric of their leotard.

Like a swimmer, you just need to learn to deal with it. I agree, but when a hc allows shorts only during a girls period, she feels singled out. If we weren't allowed to wear shorts I would never wear shorts during that time. Ever. Dark leos, velvet leos and patterned leos are the best for that time

Like a swimmer, you just need to learn to deal with it. I agree, but when a hc allows shorts only during a girls period, she feels singled out. If we weren't allowed to wear shorts I would never wear shorts during that time. Ever. Dark leos, velvet leos and patterned leos are the best for that time

I can definitely see how that could be a huge blinking sign!

All team kids wear leos all the time. Rec kids can wear whatever they want as long as it isn't dangerous.

That said, there has been times when my older daughter has had to wear leggings (not shorts, leggings). She has horrible eczema, though it is getting better with age, thankfully. Anyway, she sometimes gets bad breakouts on the backs of her legs and behind her knees. This isn't just dry/itchy skin, it's bleeding and requires a round of Olux and prednisone to treat. Leaving that kind of skin open is a one way ticket to infection, and really wouldn't be safe for her or anyone else. It has to stay covered.

Luckily, things have gotten much better as she's gotten older and (knock on wood) we have not had any bad breakouts like that this winter. I'm not sure what we would do if it happened during a meet. I guess if she couldn't use the leggings, we'd have to scratch her. and she could just go to cheer on her teammates. There's no way we could let it be open like that, even for a few hours... especially not in a gym situation. I hope we don't have to find out!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back