Should I get grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just started gymnastics about 1.5 yrs. and I do it in prep - opt ~ intermediate. I am an equivalent to a USA 6 (about). I do get some rips but I usually use a pumice stone and lotion on my hands so I don't rip too often. My coach nonchalantly mentioned that I could get grips if I wanted, but she had not made a big deal over it. However, most of my teammates have grips and I was wondering if I should too. My opinion is, I don't want to get too used to grips, but I am also wondering if they will help me? I am starting to learn important skills and I feel I should learn them with grips if I am going to use grips for the rest of my career. I am also a little bit scared to get grips because my hands won't be actually touching the bar - scary for me because I feel I won't be able to control my grip . . . even though they are called grips.
sorry its so long
Questions:
Should I get grips? Why or why not?
If I do get grips I am thinking about getting Gibson from DGS are those good? I think I would want thinner ones so please take that into consideration.

*** Bonus: How come not very many people reply to my other threads (only like 1 -3) how do I get more "known" on this site so people will answer my questions???

**** Extra Bonus: (sorry) How do I edit my signature I forget?

Thanks and sorry it is so long and sorry for the bonus questions

Questions:
Should I get grips? Why or why not?

If your coach isn't pushing them then don't spend the money on them. At some point everyone doing the "bigger skills" has them and uses them all the time. Grips don't always prevent rips either. My DD has had grips since L5 and she gets rips with the grips too but it does making doing the L7 and L8 skills easier for her.

If I do get grips I am thinking about getting Gibson from DGS are those good? I think I would want thinner ones so please take that into consideration.

Ask your coach for a recommendation. Usually the coaches have favorites. I would suggest the buckle style over the velcro style. For my DD she started with velcro but they kept coming loose and she didn't like that she had to also then tape them so her 2nd pair she got the buckle style. As you grow you will outgrow your grips so it won't be just one pair of $50 + grips. Once you start using them they can also wear out.

*** Bonus: How come not very many people reply to my other threads (only like 1 -3) how do I get more "known" on this site so people will answer my questions???
I can't say I know which posts you have posted but usually the posts that only get a few replys is because the answers you get usually has great advice and we don't have anything else to add.

**** Extra Bonus: (sorry) How do I edit my signature I forget?

I think its in the CP User area where you can add your picture etc.

Thanks and sorry it is so long and sorry for the bonus questions

Well if you are working level 6 bar skills, i would recommend them. just make sure you get the sizing right and you will be fine. i didn't get mine until level 7 and they really helped me. i didn't like them at first but they were easy to break in, now i can't even do bars without grips. like cher062 said you will still get grips, but to me i have less and my hands aren't as sore as before. also it makes circular skills easier like free hips, giants, ect. i haven't tried those kind of grips, but the one's i have are pretty popular. i love them, they are the reisport velcro but everyone likes different kinds :) and for the bonus, i don't really know. it's the same for me lol. and for your signature... click settings in the top right corner then look for edit signature on the left side :D

Grips are meant to help you grip the bar better, they do. I believe you should get them because when you begin to learn higher level skills like giants the dowels on your grips will allow you to have better control of the bar.

I have normal-width Bulldog buckle grips. Buckle grips are better because once you tighten them they will not slip.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back