Parents Should States have a higher qualifying score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MAG parent here but we also have very low qualifying scores. I never thought much about it until this weekend when I sat through a SIX HOUR Level 5 state meet (including awards). Definitely could have done with fewer qualifiers. But, it would make me feel badly for those boys who didn't make it if they raised the cut off.

Reactions: sce
MAG parent here but we also have very low qualifying scores. I never thought much about it until this weekend when I sat through a SIX HOUR Level 5 state meet (including awards). Definitely could have done with fewer qualifiers. But, it would make me feel badly for those boys who didn't make it if they raised the cut off.

I heard the reason they recently raised the level 3 qualifying score in my state was to try to cut down on the number of kids who will make it to states, because of the huge number of level 3’s here. I don’t *know* that for a fact, but it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure it's about making $$ for the states' gymnastic association and the host gym..

more gymnasts = more money

Seems odd to me that a state would set its qualifying score for the state meet lower than the mobility score. One would think it should be higher. The mobility score is supposed to indicate basic competence, and qualifying to the state championship should require something beyond basic competence. But then again, I am convinced that gymnastics meets are primarily a money-making scheme, so it makes sense that states would want to maximize the number of qualifiers. And I still think the new mobility score of 34 is too harsh.

The larger number of gymnasts also makes it less expensive per gymnast. If it costs $10,000 (just a round number, no idea how much it actually costs) to rent the facility, pay the judges, rent the equipment, etc, etc. Those costs are passed on to the competitors, the more competitors the less each individual has to pay.

Also for many State meets are the last meet of the season, always. They are not going to qualify for regionals and State gives them an official closing to the season/last meet. At level 10 State meets seniors are often recognized and for some it's the last gymnastics meet of their career.

Other than long meets, what does it hurt to have a lower qualifying score?

For us in Xcel, We had a qualifying score of 28 for our state in the past and this year it was increased to 30AA. Our gym requires a 34AA in order to go to states. In order to have a real shot at placing at states, you have to score above 9.0 on an event and even then you might place. We had a girl get a 9.3 on bars and not place. Many of the girls placing at our state meet are scoring 37+ easily! So, sending a girl that just qualified at 30 AA may give her big meet experience but no shot at placing. Ultimately it depends on the purpose of States for your gymnasts and what their goals are.

I'd be curious to know what states have the lower state qualification score than mobility. Are they sparsely populated states?

I'd be curious to know what states have the lower state qualification score than mobility. Are they sparsely populated states?
NY is one and we are a pretty large state. Large enough to have multiple state meets at the lower levels. Decent size turnout for midlevel optionals. I think (wouldn’t swear to it) we have the largest JO state turn out for our region.

http://nyusag.com/

Again revenue comes into play.

A long time ago when my dd first started team, Q score for L4 was 28 in our state. I remember back then being absolutely clueless and asking the coach before the first meet how likely it would be to Q to state as I was trying to plan for travel meets as it was the opposite side of the state and I needed to book a room and request the weekend off. I had no frame of reference at the time for if 28 was good, bad, so-so....haha. I think the Q score now is the same as mobility score, which I think makes a whole lot more sense.

I have a MAG but on the boys side everyone has ALWAYS made state....now everyone pretty much makes regionals also. This year my son can qualify for nationals and I hear that qualifying for nationals is much more difficult.

I have a MAG but on the boys side everyone has ALWAYS made state....now everyone pretty much makes regionals also. This year my son can qualify for nationals and I hear that qualifying for nationals is much more difficult.

Where we live, at least when my boys were these levels, 4s all go to state and have their own meet. (No regionals for 4s.) 5 and 6 do not all qualify for state. 5 especially could be harder to qualify. 7 and up usually make state but not always Regionals.

As mentioned up thread, it is about money, the gym hosting the meet wants to have as many qualify as possible, so the qualifying score is set accordingly- so enough get through but in the case of very crowded Levels, not more than can be handled at one meet. If your gym usually goes to smaller meets, I guess crowded States can seem long, but in my experience States and Regionals are never the longest meets of the season.

Aside from it being a big and thus long meet, I do not understand the concern that a qualifying score is "too low." Competition is still going to be stiff for those at the top no matter how many athletes overall qualify.

Where we live, at least when my boys were these levels, 4s all go to state and have their own meet. (No regionals for 4s.) 5 and 6 do not all qualify for state. 5 especially could be harder to qualify. 7 and up usually make state but not always Regionals.

As mentioned up thread, it is about money, the gym hosting the meet wants to have as many qualify as possible, so the qualifying score is set accordingly- so enough get through but in the case of very crowded Levels, not more than can be handled at one meet. If your gym usually goes to smaller meets, I guess crowded States can seem long, but in my experience States and Regionals are never the longest meets of the season.

Aside from it being a big and thus long meet, I do not understand the concern that a qualifying score is "too low." Competition is still going to be stiff for those at the top no matter how many athletes overall qualify.

I'm sure like everything it varies by region but our gym goes to big meets throughout the year and states was by far the longest. Level 4 doesn't have their own meet but 4s and 5s were divided by D1 and D2 (so spread across 4 sessions). There were 120+ Level 5D1 boys. It took 6 hours with awards. Regionals are this weekend and sessions are broken down by age group. There are 128 5D1s in the 9-10 age group. It is scheduled for 5-6 hours. We shall see.

Qualifying scores for regionals for Level 5 was 46.0. Every Level 5 at the New York State meet hit that. I'm sure many states have smaller numbers but for us it is LONG.

I guess people may think the qualifying scores are too low because if nearly every kid is qualifying, why even have there be a minimum score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back