Skill Question?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm in Xcel Silver and since we're already deciding what we're going to compete, we were talking about floor skills the other day. Most of the girls in my group can do a roundoff back handspring with a light spot, but some are still working roundoff-stop. One of the girls in my group who is working roundoff-stop has a really high rebound, and I overheard one of my coaches thinking about whether they should let her train/compete roundoff-back tuck. Is it right to learn a roundoff-back tuck before a back handspring, or does it just not matter?

It can get confusing........

The 'normal' progression is to work the round-off bhs first, and use that to do a back tuck. A back tuck can work out of a round-off, but the round-off before a back tuck has to finish slightly different than a round-off for a bhs..... which means, to avoid confusion, you gotta learn one and have it for a few months before working the other skill.

Most people think that learning the r-o bhs first will make you a better tumbler going into the future.

She probably could do it now, but as she progresses, she might/need a round off, bhs, to go into harder skills. If she's scared of bhs's, doing a back tuck for now might help her in a way, it would get her used to tumbling backwards.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back