Skipping a Level in First Year of Competition?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
Hi, I joined "real" artistic gymnastics last year and I have always been able to pick skills up quickly, listen to instructions and I have a lot of natural flexiblity.

My coaches wants me to skip the Canadian equivlent of Level 4 and move right along to the equivelent Level 5. I have most of the skills and the first competition isn't until the end of January, so I have LOADS of time to get skills.

I was wondering about the "pros and cons" to this before I make a descision? (With my parents and coaches of course.) Thanks!

Well personally i don't see what could be so bad about it if you will have the skills ready come competition then i don't see whats so bad.

Maybe you would do better at the lower level but i don't know

I would say since you're older to be starting out, that skipping the equivalent of level 4 is a good thing (not required here anyway--not sure how it works in Canada). If you think you can get the skills in time, then go for it!

IT really is no problem to skip P1, it is a VERY basic level and the routines are much more simple than the L4 in the US. P2 is more challenging and it gives you the chance to add bonus skills as you get them. My DD will be doing P2 right along with you, she is just getting her routines together and it is a big step for her too. YOu'll do great.

P1 is very limiting as you cannot add new skills as you get them, the skills are set and there are no bonus skills at all.

P1

Vault, same as L4 flat back to stacked mat sat 110cm for the U12 and 125cm for older crowd. SOme provinces now use the vault in front of the mats for development.

Bars, pullover cast to bar height, back hip circle, squat on, jump to high bar, swing, baby giant, sole circle dismount.

Beam, handstand to vetrical, half turn on demi pointe, straight jump, tuck jump, round off or fhs dismount.

Floor, round off, hs fw roll, bwo or cw, scissione jumped linked to cat leap, full turn.

Each gymnast has their own music, the skills on everything but floor must be in a certain order. JUdges out of 13 using modified FIG scoring.

P2 is WAY different.

P2 is harder to expain, because it is an optional level. So here is an example and some bonus skills.

Vault- 125cm to satand for U12's 135cm for over 12's

Bars - Pullover, cast to horizontal, squat on, kip, baby giant, tiucked flyaway.
bonus's are anotther kip, sole circle to high bar, cast to 45deg.

Beam - two jumps one being split leap, full turn, handstand and a second acro, an A dismount.
Bonus's are press HS mount, a walkover, an A salto dismount

Floor - two jumps linked with a dance passage, one being a split, full turn, two tumbling runs with three elements each with differing elementslike cw ro bhs, ro bhs bhs.
Bonus's A salto's in a line or alone.

SO you can see routines that are about a L5, but at the same time you can see routines like a strong L6. Lots of variety and of course they all have their own music. A big change from P1.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!!! P1 is very basic, I agree. I competed a P1 meet last year, First overall, 1st on floor, second on beam, second on bars and first on vault. The highest point difference in between me and the girl who got first on bars and beam was .3. I'm very excited becaues we decided that P2 would be a better option this year and maybe even P3 as the year goes on! Thanks everyone.

I do not think that skipping a level would be bad. Level four is generally a pretty easy level to skip, and with your natural ability and flexibility you should be fine! Good Luck!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back