Parents Skipping vs. Scoring Out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know nothing, but... what does that mean it would be required? You would have to get a mobility score at 6 to go to 7? And you could not go from 5 to 7? This would make sense ONLY if they changed the requirements of level 6. Right now, the requirements are not any more difficult than level 5 so it would be a pointless level to force kids to compete in. If they did this, I'll bet it would result in even more "scoring out" meets to get past it and then it would lose any value that it currently provides. It would be a lot of "churning around" with the same skills at two levels.
Or coaches would pick a meet and have their gymnasts compete in the L5 and L6 sessions :)

Clear as mud! My understanding from both the gyms my kids are at is that L6 is a truely OPTIONAL optional level - DD gym at this time doesn't compete it at all (but is ok with most kids doing 2 years of L7), DS gym has most girls do L6 then L7 (requires giants to be L7 - but not cast handstand so actually lower L7 bars starting score?? to each his own).

I actually think L6 is nice for older girls who are slower learners and really ready for their own routines, but not for L7 bars or BHS series, etc. I can see kids progressing through L5, L6 and then L7 smoothly - but I've heard that L6 is very difficult for the judges to judge because the bar is set so low....I suspect that will smooth out in time. I would suspect it really depends upon the kid and the gym philosophy. I'd hate to see it become required - as its just one more hoop for kids to jump through if they are ready to move on, and has no new skills/difficulty.... - sure they could just do L7 routines in general then score out, but that would mean that they would be competing down with kids who really needed to be L6...and we KNOW we parents HATE that!

This past season was my oldest daughter's first year on team & she competed level 3 as a 10 year old. She had a good year & took beam and all around at State 2 weeks ago.

At practice last week the head coach moved her up to the level 4 group so she's now training for level 6. They skip/score out of level 5 here because skill wise it's so similar to 6 so why not move to optionals. She's loving the challenge but for having only started gymnastics 6 months before making team, it's a lot for this mom to take in in just 18 months!

L6 will never be required. It was designed for girls not yet ready for L7. Some girls ARE more than ready for L7 - some are just waiting to turn 7 so they can score out of L4 and L5... but have been training for L7 (think upper level TOPS training for 5-6 year olds). Others have their BHS on beam in L5, can do the other required L7 skills, and are just READY for it.
I love L6 too. We have girls on our team that were low scoring old L6 (think just barely minimum scores), but who have scored multiple 9s in this new L6.
We have 4 L6 on our team ... as Old L6, they scored season bests of 31.725, 31.000, 32.900, and 31.475. In New L6, the same girls have scored season bests of 34.900 (with beam and floor in the 9s), 35.675 (with beam, floor, and vault in the 9s), 36.675 (with beam, floor, and vault in the 9s), and 34.200 (with beam and floor in the 9s... and her best bar score was in a meet where she flew off the bars twice... but managed to regrasp the bar with one hand the 2nd time and they gave her credit for a clear hip... that was the 2nd meet of the year and needless to say, she was a little scared of bars after that.) One of these girls will be moving to L7 and the rest will stay L6 until their bars catch up with the rest of their events.

I'm wondering where you got your info? This year girls that scored out of old level 6 had 3 choices: 1) stay in new 5; 2) compete new 6; 3) compete 7; because if they scored out of old 6, the progression was to go to 7. All the notes and instructions I read said "for this year." Now it didn't say "only," but I'm pretty sure there will be a time, possibly this coming season, where it will be required. As for it being easier, old level 6 was very tough and high scores were scarce, but level 7 was easier to score higher. It's the same way now, with new names. Look for it to be required soon.

Another good thing with L6 is that gymnasts are allowed to go back and forth between 5 and 6 in the same season... They could compete at L5 and L6 in the same meet (as long as they are in different sessions). L6 is actually easier in some ways than L5, so it wouldn't be hard to "score out" if they did make it mandatory, but that isn't the plan.
In L6... a solid floor routine could be basically the L5 routine, but leave out the FHS-FHS and make sure there is a B skill in it. ... On Vault - FHS works ... on Bars - Kip - Clear Hip - Kip - Cast Squat - Kip - Cast - Back Hip - Underswing - Flyaway ... and on Beam - Mount, Split jump, Cartwheel (or BWO or BHS or Roundoff), Full Turn, an extra B for good measure, throw in another jump or a leap or a balance, and an A Dismount.

What???!!! Two levels in the same meet? That's crazy. I never saw that allowance any where, and I'm a judge.

What???!!! Two levels in the same meet? That's crazy. I never saw that allowance any where, and I'm a judge.
Yes. They can compete 2 levels at the same meet. I know of girls that have done it. I have seen a lot of it on MyMeetScores.com too. (Recently in looking for age breakdowns for the Presidential Classic for @coach1234 I saw several girls who had competed at another meet as both L7 and L8).
http://www.mymeetscores.com/meet.pl...on=&teamid=&teamname=&gymnastid=-99&orderby=2
Look at the R Athletics team specifically. They had 3 girls that competed L7, then L8 in a later session. There was also one from Gedderts that did it.

This following is from the JO National committee meeting notes:

1. Recommendation effective August 1, 2013 for mobility in the new system is as follows:
    Mobility back and forth between the new Levels 5 & 6 will be allowed. The new level 6 can be skipped if a minimum score of 31.00AA is attained in the new Level 5.
    Motion: B. Harris
    Second: L. Johnson
    Passed Unanimously

According to this there is no indication of it being for one year only, it reads "in the new system."
    Also, I have seen girls (although very rare) compete in more than one level in a meet to score out, most commonly when they are scoring out of the last level of compulsory and then doing the 1st level of optionals in the same meet.

Hello,
This thread has given me so much info! Thanks to all of you!
My DD just moved to L5. She has already been working skills for L7 and L8 but has never competed L5. She is 12 and may not have many more years in the sport. She would really love to try optionals but her coach wants her to stay L5 for another year and then skip L6 to go to L7. But for her, it is about "carpe diem". She wants to be able to compete optionals sooner than later to be with some of her teammates of the same age. My DD has skills comparable to those girls moving to L6. She went to State for L4 and medaled in Bars and Beam.

What can I do to help her achieve her goal? Can she try to compete at L6 while still a L5 just to see if she can do it? Any thoughts on how I can convince her coach?

Thank you!

this conversation is really interesting to me. My almost 10 year old is doing L6 this year after doing L5 last year. She was not a high scorer in L5, and we are not thinking really long-term, so maybe I have a different view-- I am not looking for her to move really quickly...I am not sure the end goal. I think if kids have the skills, it is great for them to compete at the higher levels, but we are happy to have one level per year for my DD-- if she sticks with it, she would be L8 around 11/12 years old. Watching what these girls do, I am not sure I want her going that much further :) even the BHS on beam makes me gasp. Anyway, just a long-winded way of saying that for us, L6 seems to be a great way to move up without my DD getting crushed by those who can compete much higher skills.

Most of our girls seem to skip 5 and go from 4 to 6 (if they're ready). At our gym it seems that the 6 girls need higher casts than the 5s and they need a layout on the floor. They also want them to have a BHS or FWO on the beam but not sure if that is a Level 6 requirement or just our gym. Is Level 6 judged more harshly for the same elements than Level 5?

Thread closed, it is an old one. If you want to discuss this topic please start a new thread and link to this one for reference.

Thanks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back