Parents Smokey Mountain Classic meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3rd_time_around

Proud Parent
Judge
Is anyone going there this year? Has anyone been in the past? Is it a good meet, in your opinion? As in, is it competitive and well-run? Did your daughter enjoy going to this meet? Was is worth the travel, expense, and time? Will you/are you going back? Just wondering, since this is a relatively new meet, and seems to have taken all the gymnasts from the Gatlinburg Classic. Would love your thoughts, thanks.

We just got back today (DD competed yesterday). It seemed to be run pretty efficiently. They started on time and even though they had two flights going, they actually finished ahead of schedule. They held it by the Wilderness at the Smokies resort which had the indoor water park (definite plus for the kids-they competed, had dinner then spent last night and today at the water park). The resort itself can be pricy, but they had given a special rate for the competitors. I think there ended up being 10 gyms in my daughter's group and only one level 4 session. It's a small meet in comparison to some of the others we went to (Flip Fest, Circle of Stars). Not sure how competitive at the higher levels, but I know our optional girls are competing there this weekend. It's an OK meet, but I heard from another parent that we won't be there next year (think we're going back to Tiger Paw in SC).

We went to Tiger Paw as well as this one, and Flip Fest. We competed today level 9, and tomorrow Prep 2. My daughter's team has 3 girls, and they won first place!! it was the only level 9 session. I had asked originally, because Hilton Head, run by the same people, used to be huge, but this year was so small they had many different levels in one session. We enjoyed the water park early Friday, but stopped by tonight and it was super crowded--not fun! My own daughter did raise her AA score again, but she had 2 falls and many extra steps on floor plus an out-of-bounds. If she would stop falling, she would have an amazing AA score--I get SOOOOOOOO frustrated! Anyway, thanks for your review. I'd like to come back next year, I think.

Glad that you guys had a good time and congrats to your daughter's team! Our gym had 1 girl competing level 9 yesterday. DD wanted to stay and watch her, but rest of our family was ready to get home. :)

It's our gym that is one of the host for this meet, the one in the fall (Freedom Fest at the same hotel), the Hilton Head and the upcoming Courtney Kupets meet in Savannah. There were 1300 girls registered for the Smokey Mtn Classic. Our level wasn't there since they competed at the one in the fall. My dd was disappointed because she really wanted to go to the water park. This was dd's first year at the Hilton Head meet and we enjoyed that one.

Congrats to your daughters team and to your daughter for raising her all around.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back