"Softening" Rips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Last class, I got a nasty rip. However, I cleaned it, cut the ripped-off skin off, and bandaged it. It healed quickly.

This morning, however, I went to go put on my coat, and the Velcro sliced the rip. Now the rip has these tiny, jagged edges that are too small to be cut down and they are really really stiff. If I try to touch the rip, it stings!

Plus, I have gymnastics tonight. I don't mind rips at all--they are proof that I am a real gymnast!--but when they're jagged like this...it will hurt a LOT when I go to do bars.

Do you have any tips for "softening" rips? I just want it to be smoother so that, ever time the rip makes contact to the bar, I won't have to yelp. I thought about putting a little lotion on every hour...would that help?

Thanks! :D

I'm not sure if this will soften it but dd's coach always tells her to put Preparation-H on her rips. That dries it up and does something to it...not sure what. But it seems to help. Good luck!

Thanks for trying to help, mkarloff, but I don't think it needs to be any drier...:)

Thanks, KateR, but I don't have any, and I don't think I have time to go get any...what do you think is the next best thing? I put on some hand cream for "dry skin"...I hope that will work.

Once you can get some bag balm- keep it handy. dd sleeps with bag balm on her hand and covered with cotton tube socks several times a week- heals current issues and seems to help prevent others.

For future reference, if you get a little jar of Vitamin E oil (the kind that can actually be used as an oral supplement) that does wonders for rips. It helps them heal a lot faster, and a jar at CVS is around $4 and will last forever.

For future reference, if you get a little jar of Vitamin E oil (the kind that can actually be used as an oral supplement) that does wonders for rips. It helps them heal a lot faster, and a jar at CVS is around $4 and will last forever.

Take a garlic clove, remove the dry outer layer, cut in half and rub the garlic oil on it. Oh yeah, it'll burn for a bit. Do this at night and your rip will feel a lot better in the morning, and it's natural. I need to warn you before you do this, the garlic smell will last on you hand for the rest of the day, and you may have an urge for pizza. Please be careful as some people who use this remedy have been known to chew on their hand as they sleep.

A way to ease the pain....Try a little Oral Jell or Chloraseptic spray to numb it if you just can't stand it. And seriously do be carefull. Make sure the rip is protected enough to prevent increasing the depth or size of the rip.

What if the rip isn't open yet but is just a painful callous right now - what to do? DD has a meet on Saturday and we would have preferred her to rip already so she can heal by then. Now, if she rips at Wednesday's practice she is doomed! Or, we don't want her to rip at the meet warm-up! But even without ripping, the callous hurts and had her in tears yesterday. Not sure what to do with it?

If it's a callous and not a blister......Use 200 grit "wet" sand paper and sand the callous until the area begins to have some sensitiviy signaling the end of the "dead" skin layer. Nobody "gets it right" the first time, and I'm sorry this won't help for this week-end. Try it with the notion this will be another part of your daughter's gymnastics bag of tricks. Just a little tip on the sanding.....use only enough water to moisten the skin, then sand until the dead skin starts to "roll off", when it becomes dry, re-moisten and sand again until you've got sensation. Use this as maintenance rather than a cure.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back