WAG Sole Circle, does your gym use it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mine learned it around compulsory level 6 and could do it if she lost her balance on her squat on once she got to level 7. She was also working on toe-ons and had a mean toe-hecht before leaving gymnastics.

Dd says they would only use it in comp if they fell out of their squat on. She says she doesn't remember learning it officially nor do they practice it regularly or anything, but that they have always used it to break in their grips as you can spin round and round and round and it isn't dangerous.

She is level 9. I would say the first I remember seeing anyone in her group doing them would have been level 6 or 7.

We don't spend a ton of time on it, but all our level 4s and 5s will do it in straps occasionally, as well as various side-station drills for it. Some can do it well and will use it to "save" a squat-on in routines. We have some 6s+ doing toe circles, and we use the "monkey circle"/sole circle as a progression for that

Yes! DD was "made" to learn it after her squat on lost its consistency in L5.
She's now L8 and uses it all the time. It's not part of her routine, but it has sure has been helpful!

It's funny how things are called different names, I always knew them as Stoop circles, so we actually call them Stupid circles (it's a long story).
I use multiple names for each skill, just so my girls become a little more knowledgeable about the little details of the sport's terminology. I also try to refer to skills as they are "named," like Tsukahara, Maloney, etc.

I can relate to your post though, @coachp. Every time I say stoop circle in front of brand new kids, they always look at each other like, "wait, did he say stupid circle?"

We don't really spend time on them at practice, but they are in our circuit. It have saved me numerous times at meets!

So it seems like most people who have it, use it....and it's beneficial.....and fun! And it can save a fall.....
Why wouldn't it be taught more often?

I asked DD because she uses hers as a squat on fall back and she said that she taught herself one after seeing a video on Instagram. She said other girls learned them in practice. She is using the techniques to work her toe on to hand and her toe shoot. It was easy for her learn and has had several benefits.

I asked DD because she uses hers as a squat on fall back and she said that she taught herself one after seeing a video on Instagram. She said other girls learned them in practice. She is using the techniques to work her toe on to hand and her toe shoot. It was easy for her learn and has had several benefits.

My dd's group practiced them on and off. Dd picked up on it quickly. It did help her learn her toe on to hand. She's lv 8 and they added toe on to hand to her bar routine. So, I think it's useful for several different reasons.

My daughter has done sole circle/jump to high bar instead of squat on/jump to high bar since old level 6. I don't know what her level 9 bar routine will be, so not sure of she'll be doing one this year. She never missed one in a routine, but in practice would go around twice sometimes. She does more of a pike circle. Most of her teammates do squat on though. Can't remember why she started doing sole circle.

We teach it in TOPS and also use it as a side station for levels 4/5. I'm not sure why you wouldn't teach it. It's easy to teach/learn, it's the start of how you teach toe on-toe offs/stalders and it saves a .5 fall from levels 5+ if you miscalculate your squat-on.

Sorry- I am thinking of mill circle, which at our gym we call a sole circle. But yes this skill is nice to have just in case-for me at least- I can save my bar routine if I am falling backwards on my squat on

Just curious to see if your kids are taught the sole circle? From Level 5 onward it can be used in routines and even is a pre-cursor to toe-on........Our gym does not teach it regularly.... Does yours???

It seems SO useful as an alternative to falling back on a squat on. Maybe there is a reason that gyms dont teach it until later?
I competed it because I would not lean my shoulders far enough over on my pike on but most girls do not compete it. Most girls only learn it if they have to.

Sorry- I am thinking of mill circle, which at our gym we call a sole circle. But yes this skill is nice to have just in case-for me at least- I can save my bar routine if I am falling backwards on my squat on

That is funny, because it's called sole circle as it's done on the soles of the feet. Makes less sense to calla Mill circle a sole circle. Also, mill circle looks a bit like a mill wheel.

I competed a long time ago, we did sole circles forwards and backwards. Much fun. Now, I see how they could be a good option for those who are less consistent with the squat/pike on.

Wow, I feel very dumb right now. I am a level seven, I should know this. We call a mill circle a STRIDE circle. We do call this skill a sole circle. And we do use it for help in our bar routines [emoji28][emoji23] I promise I'm not new to gymnastics aha

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back