WAG Sole Circle release to low bar? Level 9

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is a level 9 who was out with an injury for over 3 months. She recently began practicing again and has competed one time. When she competed she did not do her overshoot as she is having fear issues right now. She did a pirouette and took the deduction for only having one bar change. Yesterday her coach started having her work on a sole circle on the high bar releasing to the low bar. I think the plan is sole circle release,kip cast handstand, pirouette, clear hip hand, toe shoot, giant, giant, double back. That way she will have all of her requirements (I think). I have seen a sole circle release to high bar but never the other way around. I am just wondering if anyone has ever seen this skill done and what they think of it. Is this a good idea for her until after state when they have more time to work on the overshoot again (without so much pressure) or would it be better to push the overshoot now?

I actually have a suggestion....when you mentioned that she had a fear issue of her overshoot and then mentioned that she was working on a sole circle release......well I don't know exactly what you mean by sole circle release, but there's actually a girl on my high school team who does a sole circle from the high bar INTO an overshoot. Like instead of casting to handstand and swinging through to an overshoot she casts and puts her feet on the high bar, like going for a sole circle, sole circles off, and then does an overshoot to the low bar. My coach said that was the way she learned to do it also, it's less scary and eventually can progress to an actual overshoot. If she's good at doing sole circle releases, and has a fear of her overshoot, it's worth a try to work on them by doing what I suggested. Good luck!

I know the skill you are talking about, I think it was more common years ago when the bars were closer and higher level high to low releases were less common.
I imagine if the coach is suggesting this fix he/she does not foresee the overshoot making a return by States, or at least not being meet ready by that point. In that case, it's not ideal, but it could work as a band-aid for the time being. Especially if she continues working on the overshoot with the clear understanding it's not expected to return by states (and it very well could once the pressure is off).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back