Parents Spondylolosis

• Thread starter Thread starter 5birds
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
How would I be able to tell her coach to never have her do them again?

It's possible they would prefer she didn't do them either but wouldn't say so because it would contradict what the ortho had said.

Another thought is that if her coaches have wrapped their program around world domination of the back walkover, you're better of without them...... at least you'll then know that it may be time to "look elsewhere" for a gym program.

The coaches should be smart enough to eliminate them without intervention. If not then intervene away. (and this is coming from a coach who does not believe in parental intervention)

Thank you all for so much great info and suggestions. I am anxious to meet with the ortho in 4 weeks to get more info. Feeling a bit overwhelmed by everything right now. Scared about the future health of my daughter. She is so depressed about being out of gym right now. I will talk to her doctor and coach about back walkovers after the brace is off. Her first physical therapy appointment is tomorrow. Her PT eval was last week. I just have to make sure I monitor her gym activity very closely.

She should be in the gym doing flexibility and wrist / ankle strength, not sitting at home.

I have found that the depression is less of a factor if the kid is in the gym to the extent possible. Even if not a whole lot other than conditioning and flexibility work can be done, it's a great way to keep up on PT exercises, and the social connection with the team is so important to help the injured child stay encouraged and positive. Hopefully your gym will work with you on this.

Absolutely agree.....my daughter has had two injuries and has always gone back to the gym as soon as allowed just to be with her teammates (and so as not to drive me crazy!!)
I have found that the depression is less of a factor if the kid is in the gym to the extent possible. Even if not a whole lot other than conditioning and flexibility work can be done, it's a great way to keep up on PT exercises, and the social connection with the team is so important to help the injured child stay encouraged and positive. Hopefully your gym will work with you on this.[/quote
I have found that the depression is less of a factor if the kid is in the gym to the extent possible. Even if not a whole lot other than conditioning and flexibility work can be done, it's a great way to keep up on PT exercises, and the social connection with the team is so important to help the injured child stay encouraged and positive. Hopefully your gym will work with you on this.

How much PT did your kids get during the initial bracing stage? My dd's PT doesn't really do much of anything with her. He gave her 2 exercises and only spends about 15 minutes with her. Should the initial stage just be a resting stage? He does not give her enough exercises for her to be in gymnastics more than 10 minutes. Her coach would love for her to be at the gym more but there is not much to fill the time. My daughter is definitely feeling disconnected.

My daughter had a wide variety of exercises....at least 4 or 5....two pages to take home :-)

She spent a solid 45 min at PT....they would heat, do exercises and then ice.

The exercises were core stuff from what I recall. Sorry I can't recall what else.
Maybe some leg lift stuff??

She def went to practice for about 1 1/2 hours in those first 6 or so weeks.

First 6 weeks, my DD did no physical activity at all. Then PT and strength for 6 weeks, then 1/2 practice time, no BWO, beam and bars only, for an additional 2 months. Finally, all 4 apparatus, 1/2 regular practice time for a month and allowed to do 1 BWO per day.

Then back to full practice, 14 hrs a week, after 6 months.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back