WAG Squat On Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My daughter got her squat on bars, she told me that she got it last week, but this week I actually witnessed it, she told be she did it 7 times, a few times on the training bar and the rest in the A bars over the pit, she had the pressure of having her old coach watch with a group of rec kids who were waiting to use the bar, she certainly rose to the challenge, my daughter also told be she got her pullover done the proper way instead of just doing a jump pullover she did a chin up pullover.

The next goal is to jump to the high bar, couldn't manage it today as the bar was too far away and she is only short, next week the bar will be moved in for her to have a go.

Not bad going after 3 weeks in her new group.

Yay! So fun when they get new skills!

Congratulations to dd....wow, that is great new. I was able to see dd squat on jump the first time. she missed the high bar and literally fell in her coaches arms....very funny to watch. And of course her coach handled it brilliantly. Dd quickly learned the distance of the jump is important.

I laugh when I watch my dd squat on and jump to high bar as she's really little too. I think the others girls must get really annoyed as they have to constantly move the bars back out once she's had her go

Congratulations on the squat on!

Your lucky they will move the bars my dd is the smallest only 116cms everyone jumps on full width

Hehe this works both ways! I used to be the only taller girl on my team (now my baby teammates are all grown up :( ), and they kept the bars ridiculously close. One coach refused to move them at all. So I learned my tap swings with a massive pike & had to fall to the high bar. If I'd jumped I would've ended up in more of a front support!

Congratulations to your DD :)

Mine finally got her squat on and jump to high bar back this weekend too after it being awol for the past few months. Now onto baby giants eeek
That's us too!!! She had it FINE in Dec and Jan meets and come February...poof! Gone... It's slowing coming back and hopefully she'll nail it at states this weekend! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Congratulations to your DD :)

Mine finally got her squat on and jump to high bar back this weekend too after it being awol for the past few months. Now onto baby giants eeek

Congratulations to your daughter getting the skill back, I have read on here at this skills comes and goes for a while.

These are the progressions that my daughter is doing on all the apparatus :

Bar:
Chin circle over
Back hip circle
Cast
Straddle Undershoot
Squat on
Jump to high bar

I would imagine baby giants would be the next progression after jumo to the high bar

Floor
Round Off's
Back Handsprings - Last week did them with a spot and landed on their tummy.
Tonight they did them down a cheese wedge with a spot.

Beam
Various leaps and turns (including a turn whilst in a crouch)
Forwards Rolls
Cartwheels
Back Walkovers - on a beam mat at the moment progressing to beam with a spot

Vault
Straight jumps
Handstand Flat backs

Trampoline/Fast track
Fly springs (long front handsprings) - they have done drills where they have to look up at their hands whilst jumping into a handstand with a spot, doing a fly spring on the trampoline with crash mats with a spot, doing a fly spring on the fast track with a spot.

Plenty of conditioning, they do holds on parallettes nearly every practice and have at least one practice a week where they do arm conditioning, one practice a weeks where they do jump circuits and I am guessing the other practice they do core conditioning.

They have made all this progress in 4 weeks in their new group , I never knew a extra training day could make this much difference, that and the fact that the coaches likes to rotate the group on whatever piece of equipment they are working on, they work on stations on their own in pairs and then each pair gets to work in the advanced station with the coach, this works well as it ensures that all the girls get to work with the coaches and no one can skip anything they are unconfident with.

All this work and progress and we stil have no idea what pathway they are on or what level they are.

That's us too!!! She had it FINE in Dec and Jan meets and come February...poof! Gone... It's slowing coming back and hopefully she'll nail it at states this weekend! Thanks for the inspiration :)
I thought they weren't going to states?

These are the progressions that my daughter is doing on all the apparatus :

Bar:
Chin circle over
Back hip circle
Cast
Straddle Undershoot
Squat on
Jump to high bar

I would imagine baby giants would be the next progression after jumo to the high bar
I would imagine that tap swing and kips would come LONG before baby giants.

We train baby giants at the same time as the float upstart(kip) in our gym they don't start on the upstart until around 8 I think you have to have it much earlier in the U.S? Please correct me if I'm wrong

In Canada we use baby giants a long time before kips. I think mine could do baby giants for two years before they even started kips.

I thought they weren't going to states?
Good memory!!! They decided to take anyone who got a 33. :) She is sooooo excited!!!! Hopefully she'll be healed up enough.

Reactions: sce
Yay for the squat on! My dd has been having massive mental blocks on squat ons for months now. It's only JUST starting to come back. Interesting to read about the progressions though, she's had nice baby Giants for a long time now, probably about 8 months. Her kip is still very new too.

Good memory!!! They decided to take anyone who got a 33. :) She is sooooo excited!!!! Hopefully she'll be healed up enough.
I;m glad she'll get the experience of a state meet. What is her injury?

I;m glad she'll get the experience of a state meet. What is her injury?
(Sorry to get off subject!) It's a ligament strain in her foot. I feared stress fractures in the fibula, but X-ray shows I was thankfully wrong! Anything punching (twisting, FT, vault) was hurting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back