Stiff Back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

caraburn

Coach
Judge
Hi there, I coach level 5 and 6 and I have a girl who is really struggling with a few skills from the transition to level 6. She was my best level 5, the only thing she really struggled with was the front-handspring on floor because her back is not flexible at all. She was able to make it through level 5, but level 6 is really difficult for her. She can't bend her back enough to do a back-walkover on beam, I've thought about doing the back-extension roll and I will as a last resort, but I really would rather her do a back-walkover because it leads to more. Also, she is really struggling with the front pass on floor. A regular front handspring was tough and now doing a step out and connecting another front handspring in almost impossible with her stiff back. I stretch her out constantly and do so many drills but I don't know what else to do. She is getting very frustrated and is even thinking about quitting because it is just too hard for her. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks

the "arch" starts at the top. scapular area. stretch the shouders and upper back 1st and work your way down. you can't just develop the low back arch without consequence.

Work her shoulders & upper back, & enough power & block makes the front handspring series less bendy.

I've got a girl training back extension roll for beam. Our plan is for her to do back extension roll backhandspring in level 7 & keep stretching.

I agree - I would keep stretching her shoulders and train the back extension roll for beam. That gives her time to develop a better backwalkover for later. She could use forward walkovers, carwheels and back extension roll combos for level 7 anyway if needed. I really like the idea of backextensionroll bhs. There are ways round it.

Bridge rocks with feet elevated. Keep the lower back flatter for now. She is trying to "rock" her shoulders over her hands. Or as far as she can get. Not too many in a set. Maybe 2 sets of 5 or 10. Again keep feet elevated.

Bridge walk up and down the wall. This is a "baby" front/back limber. She starts a little in front of the wall, facing away, leans back to touch the wall, walks down as far as she can, and then walks back up (using proper limber technique and positioning. Work on it until she can walk down to bridge and walk back.

Don't make the mistake of only stretching shoulders doing that floor pinky stretch (I don't even really like that stretch much). I would recommend shoulder stretching starting at the compulsory level. Just don't overdo it. You can do it pretty quick. Have them lay down stomach down in front of a wall, arms up so the arms are extended touching the wall in a half superman position. Then just go down the line and relatively gently stretch the shoulders. Optionals can partner up and do this independently once they understand. I wouldn't have the younger/lower levels do it independently, they won't stretch enough or too hard or etc. We used to get our shoulders stretched in pike stretch too. An easier version of this is to stand facing the wall, put hands on the wall and push shoulders toward the floor to extend the shoulders. Keeps the back flatter.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely try some of those hints. It would be much easier if I had less than 24 kids! ! ahhh. The hardest part is finding attention for them all. :(

Have yer focus on good walk overs on floor. Make sure (as suggested above) she is starting from the top down. I have some very stiff girls that have nice walkovers on beam just due to the fact that they have to do them correctly and they are strong enough to compensate for the odd angle they are getting due to lack of flexibility.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back