Coaches Straddle Back Technique

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So.. I guess this is more of a vent than anything... but if any suggestions arise, I would love to hear them.

I know I can teach a straddle back. I know I can spot them.

However, I have a string of girls who are having a heck of a time doing them to handstand...

I got one who is doing them really well, and I have one who is getting there... and I have a few more that just dont get it.

So far, training has been - on a single rail, counter swing to straddle stand. (check)

On reg bar, counterswing w/spot to support. (check)

Floor drill for rotation to handstand (which are hit and miss).

Lots of timers.

Counterswing to support, kip out (mostly check, sometimes not so much).

Lots of handspots where I can turn them up to handstand, but I do a TON of work, and they get really loose...

Soooo... I've taught many of these.. I've never had a group so painfully slow and unwilling to turn on these.. I have watched countless videos of them doing it, and countless comparisons to see where I am going wrong in their training..

What I see, they are arching through the upright, and their counterswing they keep their feet towards the ground. Somewhat weak pull on the bar post release.

I am quite sure that they should have their heels lifting with their hips (I know, the hips are the important rotation point, not the feet/toes).

I also see a bit of an early release.

Generally, my method is "see the bar to let go" and all of them do, but still seem to struggle.

Maybe someone will say something that will spark an idea and help me see what Im missing.. it's just getting frustrating..

Any thoughts, guys?

My favorite drill is straddle seat drop on the trampoline to handstand. It works the hip flexors and stomach muscles to get to the handstand.

I also set up a Resi mat in the pit with the pit bar so they are do the straddle back to handstand on the big mat then actually doing a half pirouette out of it, this gets the fear of leaning forward out of their head.
I have tried these two drills and they seem to be successful for me, I hope it can help you. :)

very good ^^^

but he may not have a trampoline as the program is a high school program or in a high school.

Okay...this requires fairly minimal equipment and is for the hip lift/heel drive. This may be the same drill you are doing, not sure. I'd focus on that first if they can't do it, and also focus on the bars on sets of 5 tap swings to straddle in the back (but don't let go) to improve their timing.

The "prerequisite" if you will...stand on a mat, a fairly firm one, you could use a panel mat stack or some sort...about 1.5 high or so...not too high. They'll stand with their heels on the edge and jump back to the floor, and rebound to land on their hands on the mat in front of them while they straddle up to handstand. Jump back, punch, straddle to handstand.

On the side conditioning sets of 10-20 hands remain on the ground, feet punch the floor and pike and straddle to handstand. Hands stay on the floor for all 20. Even if they can't do many presses they should be able to do this. But if you have enough panel mats you may be able to put everyone on one end or the other and not need a side station, just have them go one at a time in case they need to roll out obviously.

Okay then the "harder" version which also requires horizontal displacement: firmish mat stack in front of a spring board (high end of the spring board to the mats). A trapezoid piece or two will work here, or some panel mats. Start fairly low. They'll stand on the mat piece facing the springboard, jump down to the springboard and then straddle back over the mat piece to land on their hands. Focus on the hip lift so they should land in sort of a straddle stand at first. Then see how they do, some might be able to start making it to handstand, etc, you can also make it a bit higher but it doesn't need to be super high.

Hope that makes sense, let me know if it doesn't and maybe I can explain it better.

First - I moved gyms. I am coaching in a USAG oriented gym now - for a number of reasons, particularly self education. I do plan on finding a way in the future to contribute back to high school programs, as they are still super important to me.

Second - GymCoachSara, Love the trampoline idea. Coming from a high school background, I don't have a lot of experience with trampoline drills and I like that one a whole lot! :) Thank you.

Gymdog - thank you very much for the ideas. I have been doing something similar, but I do not have a dedicated movement/flight phase to it, such as with the springboard. It's something to consider, to see if that's where the body tighness problem is occuring.

I appreciate all the ideas. Thank you guys very much!! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back