WAG Struggling with bwo

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If a gymnast can do a backbend kickover with good form but cannot perform a backwalkover without some support what could be possible issues to fix? Lack of flexibility? I have 2 gymnasts who've been doing bwo with stand-ins for about a month and a half now with only slight improvements. Thanks in advance!

Personally, I tend to leave it and move on to BHS. Too many BWO isn't good for the back.

As long as the shoulder flexibility is there it should come in time.

Although just check- I had one little one, who wasn't flexible to start, end up in the same situation. Turned out when she learned kickovers, because she was strong but not really flexible on either leg, she randomly picked a leg- so learned to kick over with her left leg in the air.

When it came to BWO nearly being there for months a year or so later (at nearly 8), with flexibility much improved, we figured out her favoured leg was actually her right leg, so she was standing with her right leg in the air for BWO, getting as far as bridge, and couldn't get over as she'd never kicked over right leg first. I think we're going to have to go right back to kickovers and relearn the other way. Meantime she has BHS and ROBHS so it's not holding her back.

Personally, I tend to leave it and move on to BHS. Too many BWO isn't good for the back.

As long as the shoulder flexibility is there it should come in time.

Although just check- I had one little one, who wasn't flexible to start, end up in the same situation. Turned out when she learned kickovers, because she was strong but not really flexible on either leg, she randomly picked a leg- so learned to kick over with her left leg in the air.

When it came to BWO nearly being there for months a year or so later (at nearly 8), with flexibility much improved, we figured out her favoured leg was actually her right leg, so she was standing with her right leg in the air for BWO, getting as far as bridge, and couldn't get over as she'd never kicked over right leg first. I think we're going to have to go right back to kickovers and relearn the other way. Meantime she has BHS and ROBHS so it's not holding her back.
Thanks for the advice. Might get them started on BHS drills so

Timing. Timing has a LOT to do with BWO. If you havent done drills with having one leg up on a mat, and then having them do the BWO, that is a great place to start mentally for them to get it "by themselves" if that is an issue. From a physics perspective, its a lever. Foot goes up, arm goes down, and away you go! Always try to explain it to the gymnast, like a backwards "L." Your arm and leg move at the same time or you aren't going anywhere.

If a gymnast can do a backbend kickover with good form but cannot perform a backwalkover without some support what could be possible issues to fix? Lack of flexibility? I have 2 gymnasts who've been doing bwo with stand-ins for about a month and a half now with only slight improvements. Thanks in advance!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back