Stupid Tiger Paws

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

teena82

So I've been wearing Tiger Paws for about a year. I only have the form insert in, no plastic. I use to wait as long as I could into tumbling practice to put them on (usually only 2-3 handsprings later) but it got to the point where I was grimacing and my coach would ask where they were so I just starting putting them on at the beginning. Anyway, I had a different coach subbing this week and he noticed that my hands are slipping on the tumbletrak. He suggested I spit on them... but yeah... that's gross.

I'd love to stop using them completely. I've been doing wrist strengthening and don't wear them when I do handstands and such at home. I don't think taping will be enough support alone yet. Does anyone know of a good wrist support that's stronger than tape but doesn't cover your hand like tiger paws? It looks like there's a ton at DGS and Ten-O but Tiger Paws are the only ones I know anything about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped using them under the "your wrists need to get stronger" theory. Yeah, 6 months later and a wrist with just about zero mobility after a wayward yurchenko, and it turns out that I don't have enough cartilage or something. My wrists never got "stronger" but when I stopped doing gymnastics seriously, the less intense pounding allowed my tendons to recover and I can tumble without supports now, for some time anyway.

I never had an issue with hands slipping on tumble track, but didn't wear those suckers on beam after almost dying on BHS series like eight times. Took me awhile to catch onto this problem. Taped my wrists for like five years. Was fantastic.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back