Parents Taking a summer vacation - question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natalietexas

Proud Parent
We are new to competitive gymnastics. My daughter is only in the new level 3 this year. We are taking her on a trip for 2 weeks in the beginning of summer. I read that older girls in higher levels that they are discouraged from taking long vacations but didn't see anything about the younger girls. Since my daughter is in a lower level will the 2 weeks off affect her performance when she gets back to the gym and be back to competition level in 6-8 weeks.. In short, will she lose some of her skills from time away - or will she be able to bounce back quickly. I'm new to gymnastics so any advice would be appreciated.

She'll be fine.

My daughter missed almost 6 months before L5 because of a really bad break. She ended up competing and doing fine. Before L6 she missed a couple of months when we moved and that was a lot harder but she managed. Now (just finished L8) it's getting harder. Her coach even told me that my daughter has a hard time bouncing back... she takes as long as she was gone to come back. So we're planning shorter trips now or trying to find ways to stay in shape while out of the gym. My point being: enjoy it now!!! If she continues in gym, there will probably be a point where vacations are harder and you will regret limiting yourself early on. She'll be fine. :)

I mostly just try to make sure we're in town the whole month of August, since meet season starts at the end of August. This year, I am trying to be a little more mindful of how many gymnastics days she will miss, since they will just be learning the new routines. She'll miss a week in June for camp, and that may be it this year. Not sure we're going to able to align everyone's schedule enough to take a big vacation like we usually do.

It depends on the child a little too. Some have really good muscle memory and can actually come back from a break rested and the skills are better- I was like this and it seems dd is too, she may always be last to get the skill but once she has it she has it. Others in her group can lose and get skills constantly! There's also a girl in dd's team if she takes a day off her flexibility goes, she has to work at it every day.

i agree with the others though, take your vacations while she's in lower levels when you can!

I agree that she'll be fine. The only thing she may experience is sore muscles for a few days when she gets back into the conditioning.

When my daughter was a L4 and L5, we took a one month and a three-week vacation respectively. At level 4, she had a meet a week after her return. She won the meet. I recall the coach saying, she will probably feel her absence from the gym 10 days after her return. Your daughter will be fine. The only thing I would do, if you want, is keep her activity level high, swim, run, have her play in the playground. Enjoy your vacation.

The only thing I would do, if you want, is keep her activity level high, swim, run, have her play in the playground. Enjoy your vacation.

I agree with this. Both times that DD has had off, we went on vacations where she still had alot of exercise. She seemed to adjust to her workouts quickly both times with no complaints of soreness. Another thing you might have her do is some stretching while she's off, especially if she has issues with flexibility. One of our gym moms has her daughter do this for a few minutes each day on vacation because she struggles with flexibility if she has time off.

There is more to life than gymnastics - really there is LOL. We look at the schedule of the gym and try to take vacation times when the gym is closed if we can but if we can't we go on vacation when we want. Family time and vacations are just as important if nor more so.

Beginning of the summer -- I wouldn't worry. If you're in one place for the time, you can have her visit a local gym's team.

Go on vacation and enjoy it now! She will be just fine. When she gets to optionals it is harder, but until then, it really is okay. We are going to miss 3 weeks this summer for a trip out of the country. DD is L8 so she may experience a setback, but as a family we are not willing to give up the once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'm just going to echo what everyone else has said - she'll be fine. It's just two weeks. If she is a kid who needs to work at her flexibility then have her practice her stretches, or she'll probably be a bit sore for a few days. Other than that, if she's like any gym kid I know, she'll be running handstand competitions on the beach, turning cartwheels in the woods and swinging on anything she can reach. Have a lovely time :)

......... We are going to miss 3 weeks this summer for a trip out of the country. DD is L8 so she may experience a setback, but as a family we are not willing to give up the once in a lifetime opportunity.........

You simply must leave her home to train............ Now about that extra set of tickets she won't be using.... ;) :D I know somebody who could clear out some space in his schedule for that 3 week trip.

not us this year. we have the elite season upon us. i'm not complaining though.:)

You simply must leave her home to train............ Now about that extra set of tickets she won't be using.... ;) :D I know somebody who could clear out some space in his schedule for that 3 week trip.

IWC...you are too funny! I had to laugh though, because we actually do have an extra ticket at the moment as my nephew has decided not to go due to a commitment in a different sport. My dd however is all on board for the trip even though she knows she may have to work extra hard the rest of the summer and work her way back. The good thing is that with her injuries over the past 2 years she has had lots of experience in having to get skills back and overcome mental stuff.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back