Tendonitis experience?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipper's fan

Proud Parent
Not asking for medical advice-DD has a doctor and sees her frequently. Just curious what other young (teen) sufferers of tendonitis have had for treatment. Physical therapy? Casts/boots/braces? RICE? Heat? Prescribed or over the counter NSAIDS? Steroids? Cortisone? Surgery?

Has anything been especially successful or has anything caused unpleasant side effects?

With dd's achilles (occassional overuse soreness/swelling), her physiotherapist uses weekly ultrasound and TENS, with instructions to ice, and we supplement with ibuprofen as needed. Usually resolves in 3 weeks or so......with gradual improvement after each session.

My 10 year old daughter just went through a terrible bout of tendonitis. It was so bad, that her arches were collasping. She wasn't able to walk normally without pain, let alone tumble and run. We took her to a podiatrist who said thankfully we caught it early, and it could be corrected with orthotics. The orthotics worked amazingly well and took about 3 months to correct her feet. While waiting for her feet to heal, she took children's advil before practice and iced her feet afterwards. Thankfully, no other meds or physical therapy were needed. She is back to her normal self and no longer has any pain in her feet. However, she is not allowed to wear UGGS or flipflops, she has to wear her sneakers with the orthotics most of the time now.
Good luck to your daughter! I hope this helps you.

Thanks. My dd has had some success with her orthotics> Mostly I'm hoping to see the range of experiences people are having. Also looking for support and commiseration. Thanks for sharing!

Your welcome! I forgot to add, she also wraps her feet before every practice. We ordered MAG FABS, Instant Arch Supports. It sounded hokey at first (lol), but my daughter says they work, so we still use them. I just ordered another pair as they do wear out quickly (and get a little stinky).

My DD (8) has had tendonitis in her ankles on and off for a couple of years. She uses a brace at practice, usually only during floor and vault. She sometimes ices after practice and will occasionally use ibuprofen. An MRI confirmed tendonitis, but sometimes DD will complain two days after practice, when she's sitting down, etc., so I wonder if something else is going on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back