Texting meet scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Most of ours have - if not name, gymnast's number, and score.

We were at one, though, with the manual - and UGH. What a nightmare. They were all bumbled up - and you couldn't tell who went with what.

Perhaps the fact that parents and spectators don't have a clue whose score is whose is also done on purpose in our competitions to some degree. As a gym we have a policy of not giving scores to parents or discussing them with the kids.

You see some parents writing down every score (and in Aussie competitions divisions frequently have oner 100 girls in them) and keeping tabs of who has beaten who rather than enjoying the experience of their kids competing. Or parents berating kids for a lower than usual score, or berating coaches as to why their DD's score is lower than the last meet. Also the kids don't always benefit from knowing scores and placing, its the coaches job to monitor the kids progress and ensure they know what they need to improve. Its not always healthy for them to be constantly comparing scores.

After a comp we don;t tell our gymnasts their scores or where they came, we tell them what they did well and improved and how proud we are and what they will work on so next time they can do even better.

I have only ever been to one meet with a scoreboard, the meet was half over before I even realised there was a scoreboard lol! DS who was competing was so used to having to wait several days to find out his scores that he didn't realise at any point that scores were being posted. It was hard to follow and honestly neither dh nor myself bothered, like Aussie_coach said trying to figure out which score was ds was too confusing, I would rather just watch him compete. His team always set personal and team goals before each comp and they are never really focus on the score. We are given the score sheet several days later but the emphasis is always on things that they improved on in the comp rather than the numbers.

I give my dd a goal to reach as an overall score, which is normally the pass mark. I tell her not to worry about where you come just worry about getting the goal.

I would pay for this if I was guaranteed that my daughter wouldnt notice I was missing. They should develop a text with score and highlights for $10. That way I wouldnt have to watch oh say, beam. Just an idea.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back