Coaches the correct way(s) to do a back extension roll?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, I have seen gymnasts at different gyms practice the start of a back extension roll different ways...which of these ways are the correct way?:
-start standing, squat, keeping arms straight up into handstand...
-start standing, squat and quickly push off and extend legs into pike (sometimes referred to as a "butt scoot"), keeping arms straight up into handstand...
-start standing, lean forward and fall straight to pike position, keeping arms straight up into handstand...

I want to say the first way is the only correct one, but is the second one ever acceptable? The third one just seems a little strange to me. And when i say "the correct way", I am referring to USAG's expectations in routines. I mostly coached rec the past 4-5 years, but I've been coaching preteam and shadowing team and we are at a new gym so I want to make sure I teach the correct way. I know things have changed since I was in gymnastics! Thank you

What the legs do is not as important as what the arms/chest/head should be doing. Even more important is knowing what this skill leads to.

Gymgurl watch them closely, many will loose their tension as the hit the floor/leave the floor :)

What the legs do is not as important as what the arms/chest/head should be doing. Even more important is knowing what this skill leads to.

Gymgurl watch them closely, many will loose their tension as the hit the floor/leave the floor :)

Please elaborate! What does it lead to?

You're probably right, LOL! I am still pretty much a beginner judge, and only judging step1 to step4. (It's true I have a lot to learn, especially as I was not a competitive gymnast, so please be kind! I am learning a lot from this forum). In step2 they do straight arm backward roll to straddle stand, in step3 straight arm backward roll to pike stand, in step4 straight arm backward roll to front support, and in step5 straight arm backward roll to handstand. Where does it lead to after that? Everyone here seems to go into backward roll the 'third way', i.e. with straight legs. Personally I think it looks nicer than a squat. My understanding is that body shape should be slightly dished. I've been watching our step5 girls training these and some of them arch to try to hit the handstand, and some stick their heads way out.

We have to teach it with straight legs from the beginning (the 3rd description) - to be quite honest I used to really like the look of it, but as I've become older and wiser I agree with dunno that the chest arms and head that are more important so now we spend a lot more time on these areas, rather than worrying about the legs! If the gymnast has to compete it and there is a deduction for bent legs I'd be tempted to focus on that part last, once I was happy with everything else!

ps, this skill is used as a progression for giants believe it or not!

Free/clear hip is the big one. I have heard some coaches argue against using it for giants, but never for free hips.

My understanding is that body shape should be slightly dished. I've been watching our step5 girls training these and some of them arch to try to hit the handstand, and some stick their heads way out.

So think about them doing this on the bar :eek:, because that is where this skill ends up.

Free/clear hip is the big one. I have heard some coaches argue against using it for giants, but never for free hips. So think about them doing this on the bar :eek:, because that is where this skill ends up.

That makes sense. I hadn't thought about the connection between floor skills and bar skills, but in gymnastics everything seems to be connected!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back