The Right Age for Camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mimi

Proud Parent
Is age 9 too young to send my dd to sleep away gymnastics camp? We are contemplating sending her to IGC while we will be up north visiting family. We would be about 2 hours away. She did go to UF camp last summer, but had many teammates there with her. This time she wouldn't know anyone. What do you think? Is IGC appropriate for kids her age, or is it too much too soon? Btw, she is a level 6 training prep-op. Thanks!

My DD went at 7yo and loved it. being "too young" is different for every kid I've seen 12yo that can't handle it and are "too young" My DD loves adventures like this and is just fine sending mom and dad out the door. Has your DD had more than a one night sleepover before and been ok with it? does she like being away from home? Does she make friends easily? if so I would say she would do just fine.

i worked at a summer camp coaching for almost 6 years now and it depends on the kid. most kids 7 and up will be alright, but some will have issues, but its not the age so much as the kid. if she likes sleepovers and has been over at other peoples houses overnight with no problems, she should be just fine.

we also had a parent that asked if 9 is too young, i feel like they have the MOST fun around that age

My dd is 8 and is going to IGC this summer w/o teammates. It's a great place and I feel totally confident about sending her there.

Mine have been going to camp since they were 7. Youngest went alone at 9 to IGC when her sister had back issues. She had a great time. But every child is different, mine had done many sleepovers and I knew that they could take care of themselves.

They are both older now and have great camp memories.

My oldest went to IGC for the first time at 9,5, without any friends or teammates. She loved it. My youngest went just a week before turning 9, with teammates. She was fine but one of the other girls (a week older than DD) got so homesick that she literally made herself (cried herself) sick and had to leave before the week was out. Every child is different.

Thanks everyone, yes, she does sleepovers regularly and never has any problem so it sounds like she will be just fine. Thank you!

I agree that it depends on the kid. I worked at a camp (non-gymnastics) where kids as young as 6 stayed overnight without a problem and 13 year olds who had to leave early they were such basket cases. If she's going alone she'll be placed in a cabin with girls around her age and littles one usually make friends quickly, especially when they have one major interest in common right off the bat. She'll also be in a training group with kids around the same age and skill level, so further opportunities to make friends. IGC has TONS of activities to keep little ones busy both in and out of the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back