WAG the secret of higher level gymnastics...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katlinchen

Today I talked with our headcoach for a very long time and we had a nice chat.

We mainly talked about the different levels of gymnastics and what it takes to be a good gymnast. He said some things that I am really concerened about now.
I searched this forum and found a thread with a very interesting quote someone posted.

"Everyone can be a Level7 gymnast, to go beyond this, it takes a special kind of athlete."

I also found some other threads where people claimed that after L7/8 it is "a different world".

The funny thing is, this is exactly what HC told me (in his own words, of course) so there must be something true about it. I can't really compare this with myself, I am not training regularly and although I am a pretty good tumbler, I almost never do bars or vault and I have not even L7 skills anymore.

I just remembered when I started, a kip was unreachable for me, but when I got it and it was so easy. The same thing was with a sole circle, a free hip etc. It just built up gradually.

I also assist our coach sometimes when she needs a helping hand. The kids couldn't do a running front tuck less than two years ago. Now they are working on front layout front tuck etc. It just builds up gradually from Level to Level.
Why should this be different in higher levels?

I am usually the kind of person who says that nothing is impossible and everyone can reach their dreams if he/she works hard enough for it.
But there must be something true about this statement, because so many experienced coaches talk about that.

Why are higher levels so much harder to reach and progress through than before?

Of course, skills get harder but gymnasts also get stronger and better?!

Looking forward to getting your opinions!

Because the rate of progression slows down considerably. I'm not really involved in artistic much, but this is true of all disciplines I think (though obviously the level at which the drop off happens will vary) and I think using trampoline as an example makes it easier to understand.

In a persons first session of trampolining, they will probably learn tuck jump, pike jump, straddle jump, half twist, full twist, seat landing, seat landing with twists in and out, maybe swivel hips, and might start working on front and back landings. That's like, ten skills in one session. They will never do that again, after the first session, but in the beginning the progression will still be quite fast, after 2 weeks they move on to something new. But when we get to high levels, they might spend months and months or even years learning a skill. Yes they are stronger, and yes they are more experienced and skilled, but the rate at which the skills get harder and the rate at which the gymnast gets stronger are not the same, and in artistic the skills seem to get harder much quicker at L8 than at the previous levels, and the gymnast must spend more time working up to them, and putting much more time and effort in than before

Because the rate of progression slows down considerably. I'm not really involved in artistic much, but this is true of all disciplines I think (though obviously the level at which the drop off happens will vary) and I think using trampoline as an example makes it easier to understand.

In a persons first session of trampolining, they will probably learn tuck jump, pike jump, straddle jump, half twist, full twist, seat landing, seat landing with twists in and out, maybe swivel hips, and might start working on front and back landings. That's like, ten skills in one session. They will never do that again, after the first session, but in the beginning the progression will still be quite fast, after 2 weeks they move on to something new. But when we get to high levels, they might spend months and months or even years learning a skill. Yes they are stronger, and yes they are more experienced and skilled, but the rate at which the skills get harder and the rate at which the gymnast gets stronger are not the same, and in artistic the skills seem to get harder much quicker at L8 than at the previous levels, and the gymnast must spend more time working up to them, and putting much more time and effort in than before

Thanks for your answer!

Yes I see....that's what I wanted to know. If it really takes longer to learn higher level skills.

I just can speak for me. I learned a standing back tuck (never did one before) on tumbl trak in 1 weeks and after 1 1/2 months I could do a standing back tuck on floor. Same with running front tuck. Layouts took a little longer. As for twists, backwards I am fine, but it takes me ages to do front twists and I can only do them into pit, I never stick them.

Same with my little cousin who trains at my gym on bars. Kips, hip circles, squat ons and also casts came quite easy for her. Baby free hips were fine as well, but free hips to handstands, stalders and sole circle to handstands took quite a while. She know manages to do toe shoots.

Although she has those skills perfectly, coach said it will take her at least 1 or even 2 years to to overshoot or will be able to learn jeagers.

So harder level skills really take longer to learn... I always thought the same progress as in lower levels will continue...

Also once you hit higher levels, the gymnast is older and has other things going on in their life. A lot of girls lose determination because they're busy with everything outside of gymnastics. Also it's no secret that when the skills get harder there's more risk of injury and the gymnast is usually old enough to know that. Things don't usually keep going the same pace from day 1. And, the skills get more complex. I don't like to say harder because that's really just based person to person. But the skills get more complicated to do. Like, a lot of girls can do a full twist but not all of them can get their body to do a triple or even just a double. What really creates a high level gymnast is determination and some God given ability. Most kids CAN make it to level 7/8 but after that, it's just harder to maintain progress.

Not a coach but will share what I know from personal experience with girls in my daughter's team. My daughter will highly likely be an L10 next season. My daughter has been in two different gyms. The coaches/training in her former gym was not the best yet I can only think of two girls (and one is mildly autistic) in the 4 1/2 years we were there (from L4 to L9) that truly struggled. Of the 25 girls that started with my daughter in L4, maybe 5-8 quit because of other sports, switched gyms, etc. Of those that stayed, they are all now varying in levels. Maybe 8 were in L8 last season, the other 12 have repeated L7. The mildly autistic one is even better than the other girl, I think because she works harder. The story is the same for girls in my daughter's current gym. A number of girls started the same compulsory level and most are in L9, a couple in L10 and one girl is in L7, but now working through L8.

Certainly skills are more difficult in L9 and L10, which may take longer to get. But I think hardwork, dedication is paramount and good coaching. I don't think "being a special athlete" pertains to having talent but more "special" in terms of desire, dedication and commitment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back