Parents Think she'll get it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, my 9 year old DD is at camp at her gym the next two days. It is 8 hour practices each day. This first camp is focussing on tumbling and dance. The second 2-day camp in July is focusing on beam, bars, and vault. My hope during this 16 hour concentration on floor is that DD will FINALLY be able to do her ROBHS on the floor without a spotter. How realisitic is this? She currently does it with a spot with great form (the spotter merely has to use her finger, so I know it's mostly a fear issue). Anyone else's DD finally get there ROBHS after a long camp program like this?

She is competing level 4 this fall, and I really don't want her to have to be spotted at meets or leave the BHS off the end of the floor routine. Her bars, beam, and vault are really good, so the floor score will bring her AA score way down. This is our first year on team, and we are super excited, but I so want her to get this skill.

Any advice on getting over the fear factor with this move?

I know with my daughter it was tons of positive reinforcement!! She wasn't at camp when she got it but she eventually did get it.
I would think that 8 hours straight of tumbling...she will be exhaused and that might make her frustrated.
Just my opinion though.
I'll send good ROBS thought her way!!!

My dd did level 4 last year and it took her a year and half to get her bhs I thought she would never do it by herself:) She got it right before meet season. It was not pretty at practice but at meets because of the excitement she would rock it every time. So hang in there she will get it! My dd now has her bhs,bhs, working on tuck so if mine can do it she can too!

There is a good chance she may get it at camp because if they are working on it a lot it may build her confidence. The only thing I will tell you it does sound like it is a mental block and my dd has trouble with mental blocks. The best advice I got from her coach is do not talk about it at home!!! Let the coaches(as long as they are dealing with it appropriately) deal with mental blocks. Do not talk about it in the car on way home from gym, on the way to gym, or at home my dds coach said that just builds more anxiety and makes it harder for the child. It makes sense to not talk about but as moms that is hard! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

If its really a fear issue, the number of hours won't make any difference----the approach of the coaches will.

If she is lucky she might have a 'newer' coach, one she doesn't normally have, and he/she may explain the skill differently for her. I am sending BHS fairies her way as well...It seems like these fairies have been on a loooong vacation after state meets...

So, my 9 year old DD is at camp at her gym the next two days. It is 8 hour practices each day. This first camp is focussing on tumbling and dance. The second 2-day camp in July is focusing on beam, bars, and vault. My hope during this 16 hour concentration on floor is that DD will FINALLY be able to do her ROBHS on the floor without a spotter. How realisitic is this? She currently does it with a spot with great form (the spotter merely has to use her finger, so I know it's mostly a fear issue). Anyone else's DD finally get there ROBHS after a long camp program like this?

She is competing level 4 this fall, and I really don't want her to have to be spotted at meets or leave the BHS off the end of the floor routine. Her bars, beam, and vault are really good, so the floor score will bring her AA score way down. This is our first year on team, and we are super excited, but I so want her to get this skill.

Any advice on getting over the fear factor with this move?

vestibular.

I bet she'll get it soon. I hope that camp gives her the confidence boost she needs. Good luck to her!

my dd has always had a fear of back tumbling. took her a really long time to do a robhs without a spot. You would think after she got it and realized it's not such a big deal (in terms of fear) then the next skill would come more easily but she feared the double bhs just as much and now the tuck.

I think what helped her (and every child is different) is having a different coach working with her. She was so used to the main coaches spotting her and the newer coach told dd that she didn't need a spot and could do it (really hyped up the positive, not in a negative tone). She's at an away camp right now and texted me the other day that she got her tuck without a spot on the floor. This has been another fear point for her so I'm very happy for her. Sometimes new coaches and different environments can spark confidence. Sometimes the fear of embarrassment in front of strangers can outweigh the fear of the tumbling itself too and make her try it... So you never know... I will keep my fingers crossed for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back