Tiger Paws?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SuperGirlmlm

Gymnast
I am a level 7, and 13 years old. My wrists have been hurting a lot lately after practice, when should I get Tiger Paws? I also got a major fear of back tumbling, I broke my wrist doing so last year. I was doing a back hand spring on floor and my hand slipped. My wrist never quite recovered, I tape them now, but is Tiger Paws the thing for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiger Paws (or Golden hands from Ten-O) have worked wonders for my daughter. Once you get into optionals, your joints really do take a pounding and any cushioning you can provide is a GOOD thing in my opinion. She would also rotate on and off using them. There are some differing opinions on the use of these things. Some believe that using them 100% has a tendency to weaken the joint, while others believe the opposite.

My DD got them when she was a L6 at about 11 yo ( she is now L7 - L8 and 14 yo). she has very small wrists for her age so when she tumbles it is extra strain on her wrists. her DR wants her to wear them all the time - his opinion is all gymnasts should wear them He says it strengthens and supports the wrist. There are others out there that think the opposite but I think I'll go with the DR's opinion. There are as Tumble queen said differing opinions on this but I say use them. It helped my DD's Tumbling and all her wrist pain is gone since using them and her wrists aren't any weaker for using them. Talk to your mom about it and see a DR to check on your wrist pain too as pain is always an indication that there is something going on. A quick check up couldn't hurt

I got Tiger Paws when I was in level 6 and I am now training for level 9, they've done wonders for me. My family tends to have short muscles and tendons so flexibility has never been one of my strong suits, so with all the pounding on my tight wrists they have really helped. I've only used them on floor and vault until recently when I've begun to use them on beam as well. There are a few other girls on my team that wear wrist guards some of the time and one girl who wears them as much as I (she has tendinitis) and in our experience they tend to weaken your wrist joints. If your wrists do hurt consistently as you have said I would recommend at least seeing a doctor and getting a wrist guard for the wrist that you injured, then maybe both if the other hurts as well.

Pain doesn't come from "short" tendons or even tight inflexible muscles. It comes from inflammation or aggravation of some kind to muscle, connective tissue, or bones. Tight or weak muscles can simply get stretched too much causing tissue damage. TigerPaws are a last straw. Wrist conditioning and prehab should be done but quite often it's just too much pounding and not enough rest. Kind of the nature of the sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back